Is the Age of Silicon Computing Coming to an End? Physicist Michio Kaku Says "Ye

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 4:47 PM
      URL to an interesting post in The Daily Galaxy
      http://tinyurl.com/7a9t654

      If we have computers with speeds and capacities that are orders of
      magnitude beyond what we have today, what kinds of questions can we ask? What
      problems can they help us solve?

      First few paragraphs
      "Traditional computing, with its ever more microscopic circuitry etched in
      silicon, will soon reach a final barrier: Moore's law, which dictates that
      the amount of computing power you can squeeze into the same space will
      double every 18 months, is on course to run smack into a silicon wall due to
      overheating, caused by electrical charges running through ever more tightly
      packed circuits.
      "In about ten years or so, we will see the collapse of Moore’s Law. In
      fact, already, already we see a slowing down of Moore’s Law," says
      world-renowned physicist, Michio Kaku. "Computer power simply cannot maintain its rapid
      exponential rise using standard silicon technology."

      According to Kaku, at the International Supercomputing Conference 2011
      last June, Intel architecture group VP Kirk Skaugen said something about Moore’
      s Law not being sufficient, by itself, for the company to ramp up to
      exascale performance by 2018. But he went on to tout Intel’s tri-gate technology
      (the company’s so-called “3D” processors) as the solution, which Skaugen
      announced means “no more end of life for Moore’s Law.”
      Despite Intel’s recent advances with tri-gate processors, Kaku argues in a
      video interview with Big Think, that the company has merely delayed the
      inevitable: the law’s collapse due to heat and leakage issues.
      “So there is an ultimate limit set by the laws of thermal dynamics and set
      by the laws of quantum mechanics as to how much computing power you can do
      with silicon,” says Kaku, noting “That’s the reason why the age of silicon
      will eventually come to a close,” and arguing that Moore’s Law could “
      flatten out completely” by 2022."
      Kaku see several alternatives to the demise of Moores Law: protein
      computers, DNA computers, optical computers, quantum computers and molecular
      computers.
      "If I were to put money on the table I would say that in the next ten years
      as Moore’s Law slows down, we will tweak it. We will tweak it with
      three-dimensional chips, maybe optical chips, tweak it with known technology
      pushing the limits, squeezing what we can. Sooner or later even
      three-dimensional chips, even parallel processing, will be exhausted and we’ll have to go
      to the post-silicon era,” says Kaku.
      Kaku concludes that when Moore’s Law finally collapses by the end of the
      next decade, we’ll “simply tweak it a bit with chip-like computers in three
      dimensions. We may have to go to molecular computers and perhaps late in
      the 21st century quantum computers.”

      Chris

      (Madness takes it toll. Please have exact change)