Robert Charles Wilson's Vortex

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2011
      I finished RC Wilson's Vortex last week. This is the third and final book
      of the series he started with Spin and continued with Axis.

      For those of you not familiar with Spin - it starts in about 2018 when
      three teens out at night see the stars blank out. It turns out that the Earth
      has been surrounded by some sort of field. Time within the field runs 100
      million times faster than outside. Humans later find that the aliens who
      built this field allow humans to send probes outside and the probes return
      with information. Humans can actually watch the universe evolve - 100
      million years for each year on Earth. The humans actually set up a
      terraforming project for Mars.. Humans call the aliens Hypotheticals. Humans never
      see Hypotheticals - they are too vast and too slow.. Spin ends when the
      field collapses and the Hypothetical have provided a huge ring that given
      transport to another world.

      Axis is set some years after the end of Spin on another world that can be
      accessed thru the Ring. Again, interactions with the Hypotheticals and
      again attempts to understand Hypotheticals, but not very successful. I think
      Wilson is trying to set up a human-Hypothetical hybrid, but it is not
      successful. Primarily because of the vast time distances between the metabolism
      of the Hypotheticals and Humans. Hypotheticals are the end result of
      launching Von Neumann machines. The basic thought pattern is too different.
      Axis ended boringly.

      Vortex is the third in the series, In this a group of people, fueled by
      religious fervor, are taking their city thru the Rings to a dying Earth, a
      Earth killed by pollution. Again, we don't get a clear view of the
      Hypotheticals. We see Hypotheticals as a process, not intelligent beings. At the
      end, the last city is dragged thru space-time to the far future. It was
      disappointing because I wanted some questions answered - what are the
      Hypotheticals and why have they done this. So, get Vortex from, the library or
      in paperback.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2011
        Sorry, BIG MISTAKE on my part

        In a message dated 12/14/2011 11:28:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        DerHexer@... writes:

        I finished RC Wilson's Vortex last week. This is the third and final book
        of the series he started with Spin and continued with Axis.

        For those of you not familiar with Spin - it starts in about 2018 when
        three teens out at night see the stars blank out. It turns out that the Earth
        has been surrounded by some sort of field. Time within the field runs 100
        million times faster than outside Time is 100 million times SLOWER. One
        year on Earth is 100 million years outside. Humans later find that the