Baron Harkonnen as an evil Elmer Fudd

  • scottwright1272
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2011
      After reading the book and following series I couldn't stomache the Lynch version. For one, the portrayal of the Baron is so cartoonishly ridiculous and deviates so drastically from the cunning and controlled Machivellian strategist that he was in the book, its almost as if Darth Vader became evil Elmer Fudd. In a Byzantine Empire, full of plots and back plots, such a deviant could never survive or be taken seriously and would, like Caligula or Nero, have been killed by his soldiers or more likely his nephew Feyd.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2011
        That's why I prefer the degenerate, cruel and ultimately inhuman monster
        which had enough well-orchestrated 'screen time' in Frank Herbert's original
        Dune book. Otherwise I'm not interested in Kev and Bry's shallow fanfic. For
        moi only the six original novels are canon. For all means I do not meant to
        impose such criteria to you all. Read what makes you feel alive, what makes
        you feel travelling through a universe greater than life, but remember that
        as Bob Silverberg said in one of his witful tales: "Friend reader, it's me
        the character. In the real world only YOU make a difference, why? who are
        you? why are you taking me from the tale? Listen they don't want you to know
        that you cannot silen...!"