From the X-Files Dept: "Galactic Flashes May Signal Transmissions By Other Civil

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2011
      URL to an article in The Daily Galaxy
      _http://tinyurl.com/446pox4_ (http://tinyurl.com/446pox4)

      Assuming these flashes are from other civilizations
      1. the civilizations may be living much faster than we are and the
      signals are packed with information too dense for us to read now
      2. the civilizations may be living much slower than we are and we are
      seeing the equivalent of Morse code dots
      3. they may just be waving "hello" and can't expect a conversation or
      even a visit (how lonely!)
      First few paragraphs

      "We'll be looking for the occasional celestial flash," said Joseph Lazio, a
      radio astronomer at JPL. "These flashes can be anything from explosions on
      surfaces of nearby stars, deaths of distant stars, exploding black holes,
      or even perhaps transmissions by other civilizations." JPL scientists are
      working with multi-institutional teams to explore this new area of astronomy.

      _Ads by Google_
      (http://www.google.com/url?ct=abg&q=https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/request.py?contact=abg_afc&url=http://www.dailygalaxy.co
      m/my_weblog/2011/08/from-the-x-files-dept-galactic-flashes-may-signal-transm
      issions-by-other-civilizations.html%3Futm_source%3Dfeedburner%26utm_medium%3
      Demail%26utm_campaign%3DFeed%253A%2BTheDailyGalaxyNewsFromPlanetEarthBeyond%
      2B(The%2BDaily%2BGalaxy%253A%2BNews%2Bfrom%2BPlanet%2BEarth%2B%2526%2BBeyond
      )&hl=en&client=ca-pub-1894578950532504&adU=www.QuantumJumping.com&adT=What+i
      s+Quantum+Jumping%3F&adU=www.Instaflex.com&adT=1+Trick+to+Relieve+Joints&gl=
      US&usg=AFQjCNEbTyl14sDjkNaSaktWRyb72MTk-w)

      An innovative new radio telescope array under construction in central New
      Mexico will eventually harness the power of more than 13,000 antennas and
      provide a fresh eye to the sky. The antennas, which resemble droopy ceiling
      fans, form the Long Wavelength Array, designed to survey the sky from
      horizon to horizon over a wide range of frequencies.

      The University of New Mexico leads the project, and NASA's Jet Propulsion
      Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., provides the advanced digital electronic
      systems, which represent a major component of the observatory.

      The first station in the Long Wavelength Array, with 256 antennas, is
      scheduled to start surveying the sky by this summer. When complete, the Long
      Wavelength Array will consist of 53 stations, with a total of 13,000 antennas
      strategically placed in an area nearly 400 kilometers (248 miles) in
      diameter. The antennas will provide sensitive, high-resolution images of a
      region of the sky hundreds of times larger than the full moon. These images
      could reveal radio waves coming from planets outside our solar system, and thus
      would turn out to be a new way to detect these worlds. In addition to
      planets, the telescope will pick up a host of other cosmic phenomena."

      Chris

      (No electrons were killed in sending this message, tho billions were
      inconvenienced.)