McDevitt's Time Travelers Never Die

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2011
      I'm about 2/3 of the way thru Jack McDevitt's latest book and it is
      disappointing.

      Brief synopsis
      Michael Shelbourne's father is a physicist who has disappeared.
      Shelbourne receives letter from a lawyer who was his father's lawyer. The lawyer
      has a box and in the box are three devices that turn out to be time machines.

      Shelbourne and his friend Dave Dryden use the devices to visit New York in
      1931 and save Winston Churchill's life. They then visit Italy in 1640 and
      visit Galileo, go to Selma in 1965 to see the march, and Alexandria in
      149bc and see the Library of Alexandria.

      None of these places feel much different than a modern Philadelphia
      suburb. The people of the time are not astounded by the idea of time travelers.
      The streets of 17th century Italy are not full of horse poop, the people
      don't stink, the Library is like any small town library.

      Dryden and Shelbourne drop hints they have time machines, but so far the
      government hasn't shown up

      So, what's the point?

      Chris Rohrs

      (I reject your reality and substitute my own)