Experts: Huge space tourism expansion just months away

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2010
      URL to an article in CNN
      _http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/10/15/space.tourism/index.html?iref=allsearc
      h_
      (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/10/15/space.tourism/index.html?iref=allsearch)

      Wouldn't it be ironic if the first permanent residents in orbit are not
      scientists, but hotel workers for wealthy tourists?

      (CNN) -- It's unlikely that you've heard of PJ King, despite the fact that
      he's about to set himself apart from most humans who've ever walked the
      planet. In as soon as 18 months, King could be launching into space as a
      paying commercial space tourist.
      King, a 41-year-old Irish businessman, is one of hundreds of travelers
      who've signed up and trained to be among the first paying passengers aboard
      _Virgin Galactic's_ (http://www.virgingalactic.com/) trips to suborbital
      space -- 62 miles above the Earth.
      "One of the reasons I'm doing this is precisely because I want these things
      to be ordinary," King said. "Part of the problem with space travel is that
      it is special."
      King believes the $200,000 he and other passengers pay for a seat on a
      Virgin Galactic spacecraft will help create a new future when "flights like
      this are happening every week, when lots of people go, and the cost has been
      massively reduced due to the economics of scale."

      Chris Rohrs
      (No electrons were killed in sending this message, tho billions were
      inconvenienced.)

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 16, 2010
        On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 8:56 PM, <derhexer@...> wrote:

        > URL to an article in CNN
        > _http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/10/15/space.tourism/index.html?iref=allsearc
        > h_
        > (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/10/15/space.tourism/index.html?iref=allsearch)
        >
        > Wouldn't it be ironic if the first permanent residents in orbit are not
        > scientists, but hotel workers for wealthy tourists?

        This reminds me of Fritz Leiber's short story "The Beat Group" where
        peaceful space constructors take over the space military complex since
        they had been used to live in it, rather than pointing Earth will all
        the gunports open. Ironic and witty. A very recommendable lecture for
        anyone.

        ALEUS (It's not at what price we'll have peace, but how far within
        ourselves we must go to live without fear for the sake of fear itself)