Re: [SFC] Goldin News Network: Birthday Present

  • Georges Bormand
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2010
      Not too soon (I'm superstitious about birthdays), my best congratulations
      and wishes of Happy Birthday.
      And once more thanks for the gift. I've read and enjoyed *Herds*.
      Georges Bormand
      --
      "And I repeat: if there is anything that can divert the land of my birth
      from its current stampede into the Stone Age, it is the widespread

    • mjbphotos
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 14, 2010
        Thanks for very much for the chance to read your book free!
        A Couple of things - after I downloaded it I converted it to Word and there were a lot of formating problems - whole sections that were non-standard style with punctuation symbols instead of the actual punctuation. As I convert RTF files all the time, it must have been a source problem.
        Also, there were quite a few typos - mostly small things like mis-done words (feet for feel, for example), and commas inserted in places where they shouldn't have been.

        All-in-all, I enjoyed the book, although I thought that Polaski's final conclusions may have been a little skewed to the here-and-now world-wide communications going on, rather than that of the 60s, where it was set.

        Mike B

        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Goldin <stephen.goldin@...> wrote:

        > Dear Friends,
        >
        > This year, instead of getting birthday presents, I decided to give one.
        > From now through my birthday (February 28), I've decided to give away
        > free ebook copies of my first published novel, /Herds./ Just go to
        > http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/3155, buy a copy of the book (in
        > any of a number of ebook formats, including HTML and PDF), and enter the
        > coupon code *SU99G.* (The code is not case sensitive.) What could be
        > simpler? (No prizes awarded for smart-ass answers!) I hope you enjoy
        > it...and please remember, this was my first book.
        >
        > Please consider this a harbinger of things to come. Starting in March,
        > all sorts of interesting things will start happening!
        >
        > Stephen Goldin <http://stephengoldin.com>
        >
        > If you don't want to receive any more of these occasional newsletters,
        > simply reply to this message with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject.
        >
        > This list is not being sold to or shared with anyone else.

      • Stephen Goldin
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 15, 2010
          Mike,

          Thanks so much for your comments. I'm certainly glad you enjoyed the
          substance of the book. I'll hide behind the fact that it was my first
          published novel and hope that my later ones have been better.

          As for the physical formatting problems, I suspect a lot of them crept
          in when I scanned in my old typewritten manuscript, done way back before
          I ever had a computer. I used to be a fantastic proofreader, but my
          eyesight is pretty well shot these days and staring at text for long
          periods of time wears me out terribly. I've got a friend who's
          volunteered to have a look at it for me, so I may get some of the most
          egregious errors taken care of. Thank you for your patience in
          persevering with a less-than-perfect version.
          --

          Stephen Goldin <http://stephengoldin.com/>

          Have you met Polly! <http://www.parsina.com/polly.html> yet?

          Visit my Facebook page