Re: [SFC] Goldin News Network: Birthday Present

  • Stephen Goldin
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
      I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem by eliminating the comma.
      I'll have to watch out for that in the future. I hope you enjoy /Herds./

      Yes, other than a few stories that appeared in anthologies, /Solitude/
      was my only book to be translated into French (that I know about). I
      thought the cover of that edition was beautiful, and very appropriate.
      Unfortunately, French publishers either didn't care for--or never
      discovered!--my other books.

      --

      Stephen Goldin <http://stephengoldin.com/>

      Have you met Polly! <http://www.parsina.com/polly.html> yet?

      Visit my Facebook page
      <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephen-Goldin/129854193794>.

      Proud to be an Operation Ebood Drop
      <http://blog.smashwords.com/2009/09/smashwords-supports-operation-ebook.html>
      author.

    • Georges Bormand
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2010
        Not that I didn't, in Présences d'esprits, remind them a few times of their
        omissions. And I shall probably try once more if I find time and ideas for
        an article about your works in Phenixweb, a french webzine .
        Best regards (no birthday wishes before the day, I'll try not to forget to
        send them when needed)
        Georges Bormand

        --
        "And I repeat: if there is anything that can divert the land of my birth
        from its current stampede into the Stone Age, it is the widespread

      • mjbphotos
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 25, 2010
          Thanks very much for this (and Happy Birthday!) I think the only book of yours I have read is your Star Trek book, Trek to Madworld. Looking forward to this one!

          Mike B

          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Goldin <stephen.goldin@...> wrote:

          > I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem by eliminating the comma.
          > I'll have to watch out for that in the future. I hope you enjoy /Herds./
          >
          > Yes, other than a few stories that appeared in anthologies, /Solitude/
          > was my only book to be translated into French (that I know about). I
          > thought the cover of that edition was beautiful, and very appropriate.
          > Unfortunately, French publishers either didn't care for--or never
          > discovered!--my other books.
          >
          > Georges Bormand wrote:
          > >

          > > Thank you, Stephen, as I liked very much all books of you I already read
          > > (Mind Flight, Assault on the Gods, Caravan, A world called Solitude (the
          > > only translated one in France)), but didn't know about this one. Just a
          > > problem:
          > > "
          > > Not Found The book you are looking for could not be found. "
          > >
          > > I suppose it may be caused by the comma at the end of the link, you should
          > > send it again.
          > > Regards,
          > > Georges Bormand
          > >

          > --
          >
          > Stephen Goldin <http://stephengoldin.com/>
          >
          > Have you met Polly! <http://www.parsina.com/polly.html> yet?
          >
          > Visit my Facebook page
          > <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephen-Goldin/129854193794>.
          >
          > Proud to be an Operation Ebood Drop
          > <http://blog.smashwords.com/2009/09/smashwords-supports-operation-ebook.html>
          > author.

        • Georges Bormand
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2010
            Not too soon (I'm superstitious about birthdays), my best congratulations
            and wishes of Happy Birthday.
            And once more thanks for the gift. I've read and enjoyed *Herds*.
            Georges Bormand

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 14, 2010
              Thanks for very much for the chance to read your book free!
              A Couple of things - after I downloaded it I converted it to Word and there were a lot of formating problems - whole sections that were non-standard style with punctuation symbols instead of the actual punctuation. As I convert RTF files all the time, it must have been a source problem.
              Also, there were quite a few typos - mostly small things like mis-done words (feet for feel, for example), and commas inserted in places where they shouldn't have been.

              All-in-all, I enjoyed the book, although I thought that Polaski's final conclusions may have been a little skewed to the here-and-now world-wide communications going on, rather than that of the 60s, where it was set.

              Mike B

              --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Goldin <stephen.goldin@...> wrote:

              > Dear Friends,
              >
              > This year, instead of getting birthday presents, I decided to give one.
              > From now through my birthday (February 28), I've decided to give away
              > free ebook copies of my first published novel, /Herds./ Just go to
              > http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/3155, buy a copy of the book (in
              > any of a number of ebook formats, including HTML and PDF), and enter the
              > coupon code *SU99G.* (The code is not case sensitive.) What could be
              > simpler? (No prizes awarded for smart-ass answers!) I hope you enjoy
              > it...and please remember, this was my first book.
              >
              > Please consider this a harbinger of things to come. Starting in March,
              > all sorts of interesting things will start happening!
              >
              > Stephen Goldin <http://stephengoldin.com>
              >
              > If you don't want to receive any more of these occasional newsletters,
              > simply reply to this message with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject.
              >
              > This list is not being sold to or shared with anyone else.

            • Stephen Goldin
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 15, 2010
                Mike,

                Thanks so much for your comments. I'm certainly glad you enjoyed the
                substance of the book. I'll hide behind the fact that it was my first
                published novel and hope that my later ones have been better.

                As for the physical formatting problems, I suspect a lot of them crept
                in when I scanned in my old typewritten manuscript, done way back before
                I ever had a computer. I used to be a fantastic proofreader, but my
                eyesight is pretty well shot these days and staring at text for long
                periods of time wears me out terribly. I've got a friend who's
                volunteered to have a look at it for me, so I may get some of the most
                egregious errors taken care of. Thank you for your patience in
                persevering with a less-than-perfect version.