Goldin News Network: Starting a new series

  • Stephen Goldin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2009
      Dear Friends,

      Fans of Jade Darcy will probably get very upset with me, but no one who
      knows me will be at all surprised that I've allowed myself to be seduced
      by yet another young lady as the heroine of my next book. (First Polly,
      now this new one. What can I say? I'm a sucker for smart, talented,
      daring and beautiful young women.)

      Nellie Bly
      <http://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/history/lavender/386/nellie.html>Nellie
      Bly was one of the most fascinating women in American history, a
      fearless reporter who would do anything to get a story exposing social
      evils and political corruption. She went undercover to show up unsafe or
      oppressive working conditions. She was a foreign correspondent in Mexico
      until the government there pointedly invited her to go elsewhere. She
      feigned insanity to have herself committed to New York's public insane
      asylum and exposed the inhumane treatment of the inmates. In 1889-90 she
      challenged the (fictional) record of Phileas Fogg in going around the
      world in 80 days. (In the 16 years since Verne's book had been
      published, no one had even /tried/ it for real.) Not only did she beat
      Fogg's record, she shattered it bu more than a week--and in the process,
      became one of the world's first rock-star level celebrities.

      Smart, talented, daring and, not incidentally, beautiful. How could I
      resist memorializing Nellie as the heroine of a new series of adventure
      novels? I'm just now starting work on the first book, /Nellie Bly and
      the Zombie Legion/. I expect it will be a lot of fun.

      I've also recently gotten a nice review of /Polly!/
      <http://www.visionscifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=54:fantasy-reviews&id=188:polly-&Itemid=121>
      The reviewer is from Norway, so his English isn't totally
      colloquial--but it's infinitely better than my Norse, so I'm not
      complaining.

      Stephen Goldin <http://stephengoldin.com>

      If you don't want to receive any more of these occasional newsletters,
      simply reply to this message with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject.

      This list is not being sold to or shared with anyone else.