Introducing myself

  • StephenGoldin
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 19, 2009
      My name is Stephen Goldin, and I'm the author of over 30 science fiction & fantasy novels. In the past several months I've had 3 of my older science fiction novels republished by Midnight Showcase Fiction: ASSAULT ON THE GODS, MINDFLIGHT and MINDSEARCH. MSF also recently published my newest novel, a fantasy satire called POLLY! of which I'm quite proud.

      Rather than go into long detail here, I'll just say that you can learn more about me and my books at my personal website, http://stephengoldin.com. I have a second website, Parsina Press (http://parsina.com), where copies of these and many of my other books can be bought.

      Any questions?

      Keep reading,

      Stephen Goldin
    • Stephen Goldin
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 21, 2009
        The world of publishing is collapsing in on itself. More and more it's
        following the route of business in general in the US--only bet on sure
        things. One of the ugliest phrases in business is "bottom line."
        Long-term investment is six-months...a year at most. Congress can't
        think beyond the next election

        Polly! cover <http://parsina.com/polly.html>I'll use my latest book,
        Polly! <http://parsina.com/polly,html>, as an example. Nobody wanted it.
        (I hear the cynics saying, "Well gee, maybe it's a bad book." I scoff at
        such ludicrous suggestions. Scoff, do you hear! Spider Robinson enjoyed
        it and gave me a nice blurb.) It's short, technically a novella by
        Nebula Award standards. But so was Jerzy Kozinsky's /Being There/ of
        several decades ago, and that was published as a book. It's a satirical
        fantasy that doesn't fit into any standard marketing niche. I had one
        editor tell me frankly that she didn't know how she'd market it. My
        agent at the time didn't want to handle it because he said no publisher
        would be interested in something that didn't fit into a clear category.
        Other agents told me the same thing--and publishers these days don't
        want to bother with unagented mss, even from established writers.

        (I think I'm a competent writer. 30+ published titles should be some
        indication, even if I've never had a bestseller. My accumulated
        experience tells me /Polly!/ is a good book.)

        I finally found a small press, Midnight Showcase Fiction, who has
        confidence in it. They also reprinted the other titles I mentioned;
        "real" publishers don't want to bother with old midlist titles by
        non-bestselling authors. "Bottom line" again. But MSF is a shoestring
        operation that has absolutely zero budget for promotion. So if I want
        anyone to read the book (and I sorta do), I have to flog it myself.

        Frankly, I think the best use of a writer's time is to write. I've
        restarted work on a new Jade Darcy book, and I'd rather be working on
        that. But I believe in /Polly!,/ too, and I'd like people to meet her.
        So...here I am. I hope you'll give her a try.

        </diatribe>

        --

        Stephen Goldin <http://stephengoldin.com/>

        Have you met Polly! <http://www.parsina.com/polly.html> yet?