Re: 50+-year-old short story

  • Gary Privitt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2009
      The closest story to that premis that I remember is "The Pedestrian" by Ray Bradbury. We read it in school of all places. The plot is this: everyone is (basically) required to stay home at night at watch TV. The protagonist doesn't want to watch TV , he want to get out and go for a walk and enjoy the night like a "normal" person. This attitude, needless to say, gets him into a spot of trouble. Don't know if this is your story but ya' got me interested now. Thanks fer listenin'.
      Granpa G

      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "grayvacher" <grayvacher@...> wrote:

      > I remember reading a short story predicting the time when people would be in communication all the time. And,of course, there is a rebel who is considered aberrant - he doesnt want to be in communication. Does anyone recall the short story and the author?

    • HildegardeJohn GrayVacher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2009
        I remember that - he used some of the same themes in Farenheit 451.  But it isn't the story I remember.  I think about it every time I hear about texting, twittering, and facebooking.  The author - whoever he was - was predicting the state of our communications today.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2009
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Privitt" <grandaddy_g@...> wrote:

          > The closest story to that premis that I remember is "The Pedestrian" by Ray Bradbury. We read it in school of all places. The plot is this: everyone is (basically) required to stay home at night at watch TV. The protagonist doesn't want to watch TV , he want to get out and go for a walk and enjoy the night like a "normal" person. This attitude, needless to say, gets him into a spot of trouble. Don't know if this is your story but ya' got me interested now. Thanks fer listenin'.
          > Granpa G

          My experience of American suburbia is like that. New Jersey cops didn't seem to understand I might want to walk a full half mile from where I was staying to the train station, and went past every two minutes staring at me and a pal. Bizarre. Over here, it would be considered normal.