Sci-Fi Space Drive May Get Private Rocket to Moon

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2009
      URL to an article in Fox News
      _http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524933,00.html_
      (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524933,00.html)

      I like the fact that people are willing to try so many ways to get into
      space. Of course, a $30 million prize is a good inducement

      "
      Lunatrex may have considered itself an _underdog in the race_
      (http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=090603-tech-lunatrex
      -02.jpg&cap=Artist's+conception+of+the+Lunatrex+spacecraft+on+its+way+to+the
      +moon.+Credit:+Google+Lunar+X+Prize.) for the Google Lunar X PRIZE, but
      the team now realizes that its slow-but-steady approach just might work.
      "I feel very good about our team's chances," said Pete Bitar, Lunatrex
      team leader. "Our approach is very sober, very realistic, with plenty of
      margin and room for error ... it's got risks, but the risks all have hedges."
      That approach is encapsulated in the team's plan to use an electric
      propulsion engine to reach the moon over several months, rather than days.
      Spacecraft such as Deep Space 1 and the _Dawn probe_
      (http://www.space.com/common/media/video/player.php?videoRef=090707_dawn062607) have used such
      engines — also known as ion drives — to shoot a stream of charged particles
      out and slowly accelerate.

      _• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Space Center._
      (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/space/)
      Once the spacecraft reaches the moon, the _Google Lunar X Prize_
      (http://www.space.com/common/media/video/player.php?videoRef=240907_Moon2_Google&mode=)
      requires teams to land a robot on the moon, move at least 1,640 feet
      (500 meters) and beam high definition views back to Earth.
      The Lunatrex spacecraft would build up speed in Earth orbit before setting
      off for its lunar destination, giving the team plenty of time to adjust if
      needed.
      "For any course correction you have weeks, not minutes," Bitar told
      SPACE.com, pointing out that the gradual response contrasts with short missions
      that need many things to happen in a short amount of time.
      Other advantages include using tested off-the-shelf technology, which
      again reduces the mission risks. Electric propulsion engines also use less fuel
      than conventional engines, which would cut both fuel and launch costs for
      Lunatrex.

      Related Stories
      * _Six Top-Secret Aircraft Mistaken for UFOs_
      (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524997,00.html)
      * _U.S. Air Force Set to Launch Space Plane_
      (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524940,00.html)
      * _Space Travel Is a Real Headache _
      (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524882,00.html)
      * _Footage in the Sky: The Truth Behind NASA's UFO Videos_
      (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524617,00.html)
      * _Ex-UFO Researcher Details British Government X-Files_
      (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524639,00.html)

      "Our approach made sense not just to us, but to a lot of bigger players
      too," Bitar noted. "Both from a _business_
      (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524933,00.html#) development and launch attempt, we're taking it very
      cautiously."
      Perhaps the most unusual features of the Lunatrex plan involve the rovers.
      One rover concept resembles an inchworm that uses piezoelectric "muscles"
      to scoot along the lunar surface.
      Another rover could use an icosahedrons shape with 12 telescoping legs
      that slowly "walk" in any direction – the legs would handily double as the
      transceiver antennae.
      Bitar did not rule out more conventional rovers, but emphasized a final
      design the size of a shoebox. Either way, the rover in whatever form would
      shoot high definition video in multiple directions to create a 360 degrees
      composite view.
      The team is focusing on "far and away the hardest part" of achieving a
      _successful moon landing_
      (http://www.space.com/common/media/video/player.php?videoRef=SP_090527_ARCA-GLXP) , but even a failed landing attempt would not
      scuttle its plans.
      "If we're successful in orbiting the moon, and for some reason the landing
      fails, you've done 85-90 percent of the work in the minds of a lot of
      people," Bitar observed. "We may take a second shot at the prize if we have
      enough confidence from the market."
      Lunatrex has even declared it may launch multiple lunar missions anyway,
      in an attempt to snag both first and second place for the X PRIZE and take
      the entire $30 million purse.
      However, the team clearly has ambitions beyond the X PRIZE.
      "It's a two-pronged mission," Bitar said. "We're obviously competing for
      the X PRIZE, but along the way we want to come up with as many things to
      hedge out bets and create an income stream down the road."
      The team's business approach stems from Bitar's experience heading
      companies that have attracted attention with big ideas. Xtreme Alternative Defense
      Systems landed several U.S. military contracts in the past to develop
      unusual non-lethal weapons, while Airbuoyant has begun selling the VertiPod, an
      ultralight vehicle with the capabilities of a personal helicopter."
      Chris

      **************Mortgage rates drop to record lows. $200,000 for $1,029/mo
      Fixed. LendingTree®
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222653866x1201461148/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.lendingtree.com%2Fborrower%2Falliance%2Ffrom.as
      p%3Fwhereto%3Dpromopagev3%26promo%3D00279%26loan%5Ftype%3D2%26source%3D28895
      60%26esourceid%3D2889560%26800num%3D1%2D800%2D289%2D3915%26AdType%3D2)