Ian M. Banks

  • hectopede
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
      A couple of years ago I read a collection of short stories by Ian M. Banks and was not very impressed. Now I read his "Consider Phlebas", "Feersum Enjinn" and "The Crow Road", tha last just Ian Banks without M. Now I am impressed. Any comments?

      I also read some books by China Mieville. Anybody wants to discuss them?

      Andri
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2009
        Certainly Banks is one of the craftiest, wittiest and more
        visual-powerful authors the British mainstream and the British SF
        community have given us in years. I suggest you read "Excession" and
        "Matter" from him.

        About China Mieville,have you read the Bas-Lag novels?

        On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:48 PM, hectopede <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > A couple of years ago I read a collection of short stories by Ian M. Banks
        > and was not very impressed. Now I read his "Consider Phlebas", "Feersum
        > Enjinn" and "The Crow Road", tha last just Ian Banks without M. Now I am
        > impressed. Any comments?
        >
        > I also read some books by China Mieville. Anybody wants to discuss them?
        >
        > Andri

      • usernameIV
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2009
          Dear Andri, it's good to hear from you after a long time.
          I've read some Banks, but didn't like it much. I was amused by "The
          use of weapons" but bored to tears by "The algebraist"...
          I don't like China Mieville much more; I read "The Scar" and "Perdido
          Stree Station" but felt no urge to read him again. Oh, well, that's
          just one opinion, both authors are popular enough tat they won't miss
          me...

          On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:48 AM, hectopede <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > A couple of years ago I read a collection of short stories by Ian M. Banks and was not very impressed. Now I read his "Consider Phlebas", "Feersum Enjinn" and "The Crow Road", tha last just Ian Banks without M. Now I am impressed. Any comments?
          >
          > I also read some books by China Mieville. Anybody wants to discuss them?
          >
          > Andri

          Best,
          U4 (formerly known as Ignacio)

          Currently reading: A Virtual Soul, by Kevin Teixeira
          Recently read: On Writing, by Stephen King
          Indistinguishable from Magic, by Robert L. Forward
          The System of the World, by Neal Stephenson

          Visit the Hard SF store at Amazon:
          http://astore.amazon.com/hardsfgrouaty-20
          https://www.google.com/reader/shared/15876073630747133581