Re: [SFC] Creationism defeated in Texas

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
      In a message dated 1/30/2009 11:47:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      ladycatexcel@... writes:

      Personally, I am saddened by the bigotry of evolutionists. Who are unwilling
      to let the scientific arguments for creation to have a voice. I am a
      scientific creationist and a member of MENSA.

      I would love to hear the scientific arguments for creation. I'd also love
      to hear how you plan to test these arguments.

      If these arguments can't be tested, can they be science, or just exercises
      in logic and semantics?

    • Cathryn Paradise
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2009
        Evolution cannot be tested by the scientific method itself. Here is a link
        for a good article on the subject:

        http://ankerberg.org/PDF-Articles/creation.pdf

        On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:38 PM, <derhexer@...> wrote:

        > In a message dated 1/30/2009 11:47:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > ladycatexcel@... <ladycatexcel%40gmail.com> writes:
        >
        > Personally, I am saddened by the bigotry of evolutionists. Who are
        > unwilling
        > to let the scientific arguments for creation to have a voice. I am a
        > scientific creationist and a member of MENSA.
        >
        > I would love to hear the scientific arguments for creation. I'd also love
        > to hear how you plan to test these arguments.
        >

        > If these arguments can't be tested, can they be science, or just exercises
        > in logic and semantics?
        >
        > Chris
        > **************From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in between,
        > stay
        > up-to-date with the latest news. (http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000023
        > )

      • membi_99
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 1/30/2009 11:47:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > ladycatexcel@... writes:
          >
          > Personally, I am saddened by the bigotry of evolutionists. Who are
          unwilling
          > to let the scientific arguments for creation to have a voice. I am a
          > scientific creationist and a member of MENSA.
          >

          > I would love to hear the scientific arguments for creation. I'd
          also love
          > to hear how you plan to test these arguments.
          >

          > If these arguments can't be tested, can they be science, or just
          exercises
          > in logic and semantics?
          >
          > Chris
          > **************From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in
          between, stay
          > up-to-date with the latest news.
          (http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000023)

          Creationists have a voice here in the UK state schools.It's just not
          in the science lessons that they are permitted to disrupt
          teaching.They have infiltrated the Religious Education lessons (which
          in my opinion as an educator) is the correct section of the syllabus
          for the discussion.

          Much as I try to respect theists this atheist is really annoyed with
          creationists for trying to imprint their own viewpoint on others who
          are not theists and whose children are not theist.Religious education
          here in the UK is of the right level in that many faiths and beliefs
          are addressed but I do at times think perhaps the subject should be
          treated in the same way it is in the US..kept out of the school and
          out of the syllabus.

          I see no reason why Creationists can't teach their children about the
          subject outside of school.Many other faiths manage to teach their
          children without leaving it to state schools.The tactics employed in
          Texas smack of indoctrination to me..Something that us British have
          got really sick of across the centuries..

          Here now of course we have the fanatics and certain redtopped media
          trying to fan the flames of religious bigotry.Thankfully the majority
          are refusing to play that game.

        • Allen Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
            --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Cathryn Paradise
            <ladycatexcel@...> wrote:

            > Evolution cannot be tested by the scientific method itself. Here is
            a link
            > for a good article on the subject:
            >
            > http://ankerberg.org/PDF-Articles/creation.pdf
            >
            > On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:38 PM, <derhexer@...> wrote:
            >

            > > In a message dated 1/30/2009 11:47:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            > > ladycatexcel@... <ladycatexcel%40gmail.com> writes:
            > >
            > > Personally, I am saddened by the bigotry of evolutionists. Who are
            > > unwilling
            > > to let the scientific arguments for creation to have a voice. I
            am a
            > > scientific creationist and a member of MENSA.
            > >
            > > I would love to hear the scientific arguments for creation. I'd
            also love
            > > to hear how you plan to test these arguments.
            > >

            > > If these arguments can't be tested, can they be science, or just
            exercises
            > > in logic and semantics?
            > >
            > > Chris
            > > **************From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in
            between,
            > > stay
            > > up-to-date with the latest news. (http://aol.com?
            ncid=emlcntaolcom00000023
            > > )

            Creationism is itself a doctrine that cannot be tested or proven.
            Which doesn't bother me, as I am a person of faith, I don't need the
            proof, nor do I think that the schools need to teach creationism.
            There are churches everywhere that can instruct people in religious
            doctrine. One of the tenets of my church is free will, the ability
            to accept or reject God's word and to accept the consequences of
            one's decision. To mandate the teaching of religion (and, what
            religion?) in public schools is just another way to force people to
            believe what the creationists believe.

            Allen Smith
          • Cathryn Paradise
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
              Evolution is a doctrine that CANNOT be proven as well. Only by speculative
              science can it be proven. Schools are allowed to preach against the truth
              that at BEST evolution is a GUESS and not a fact since the facts can be
              interpreted in other ways that prove a young earth. It all depends on the
              personal bias of the person examining the data. If a person wants to see
              evolution as a fact he will find proofs for that view. The same is true of
              creationism. Since there are no eyewitness accounts of evolution at best it
              is speculation, creationism, on the other hand, claims to have a written
              account given by an eyewitness, the Creator Himself. Evolution is every bit
              a religious doctrine as creation. Neither is provable by demonstrable
              science, therefore, both must be taken on FAITH. I choose to adhere to the
              one that gives me value as a human being,that I am not a accident and
              nothing more than an advanced animal with no real purpose in life witch is
              how I felt when I was an evolutionist taught by federal indoctrination
              centers (public schools).

              Cathryn Paradise

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
                In a message dated 2/2/2009 3:10:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                ladycatexcel@... writes:

                Evolution cannot be tested by the scientific method itself. Here is a link
                for a good article on the subject:

                _http://ankerberg.org/PDF-Articles/creation.pdf_
                (http://ankerberg.org/PDF-Articles/creation.pdf)

                Are you sure about that? ""Thus, for a theory to qualify as a scientific
                theory, it must be supported by events, processes, or properties which can be
                observed, and the theory must be useful in predicting the
                outcome of future natural phenomena or laboratory experiments." The theory
                is made up of observable events in geology, chemistry, genetics, etc., and it
                is predictable.

                The main point of scientific theory is the last 2 words of the quote
                "laboratory experiments." Experiments are being conducted all the time of the
                theory.

                I'm still waiting for someone to say how they will test the theory of
                creationism. After wading thru the dense, 28 page documents, I didn't see that

                So, until you can show how creationism can be tested, please don't call it
                science.

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
                  In a message dated 2/2/2009 12:40:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  ladycatexcel@... writes:

                  Evolution is a doctrine that CANNOT be proven as well.

                  A scientist would not say a theory is proven, only that it has been tested
                  and passed that test at that time.

                • Cathryn Paradise
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
                    Evolution cannot be tested as well.

                    Cathryn

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
                      In a message dated 2/3/2009 1:28:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      ladycatexcel@... writes:

                      Evolution cannot be tested as well.

                      Cathryn

                      Wrongo, bongo.

                      We can look back through the fossil records and see species evolve over
                      time. Unless, of course, you follow the creationist line and discount the fossil
                      record. When we discover a new species of animal, we can expect to find it
                      close to species that resemble it (biogeography). We can also expect to find
                      in it DNA like in any other species for they all come from a common ancestor.
                      We have all read of germs becoming more resistant to antibiotics.
                      Organisms have been observed to adapt themselves to better survive in their
                      environment. Cockroaches have adapted to certain pesticides, and virii mutate to
                      become resistant to vaccines and antibiotics.

                      The test for Evolution is keeping consistent with the Fossil Record, and it
                      does. The consistency is indicated by a trend known as "progressionism." As
                      you dig deeper into fossil beds, fossils tend to get simpler and simpler in
                      form. Also, Evolution doesn't have to take such a long time all the time.
                      Creationists demand hard evidence of macro-Evolution, which is also known as
                      speciation. Macro-Evolution is when a species splits into two species, the old one
                      and the new one. The other type of Evolution, micro-Evolution, is easily
                      observable. Micro-Evolution is any small, adaptive change made by a species that
                      isn't significant enough to create a new species. For example, cockroaches
                      have, over the generations, adapted to certain pesticides and have become more
                      resistant to them. The adaptation to pesticides is an example of a mutation
                      that results in a survival advantage. However, this change in the cockroach is
                      not nearly significant enough to put the cockroach which has adapted into
                      its own species category. If the cockroach grew an extra pair of antennae,
                      enabling it to have a much better sense of its environmental surroundings than
                      its predecessor, this could be enough of a change to qualify as
                      macro-Evolution. Thus, the cockroach with extra antennae would then be classified in its own
                      species.
                      As an aside, even if we can't directly observe macro-Evolution, the two
                      processes are driven by the same mechanism. Even Creationists admit that
                      micro-Evolution occurs. So, they admit that a species will undergo small, adaptive
                      changes.

                      Or, see this article in the NY Times
                      _http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0DEFD61731F93BA25750C0A9659C8B63_
                      (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0DEFD61731F93BA25750C0A9659C8B63) , or this article from ABC
                      _http://abcnews.go.com/technology/dyehard/story?id=666435&page=1_

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                        The evidence is interpreted according to the investigator's own bias.

                        Can you give evidence of a *living species *that became a "higher" species?

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                          In a message dated 2/5/2009 6:36:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                          ladycatexcel@... writes:

                          The evidence is interpreted according to the investigator's own bias.

                          Can you give evidence of a *living species *that became a "higher" species?

                          OK, here are some articles on the fossil record for evolution of horses
                          _http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/horses/horse_evol.html_
                          (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/horses/horse_evol.html)
                          _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_horse_
                          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_horse)
                          _http://chem.tufts.edu/science/evolution/HorseEvolution.htm_
                          (http://chem.tufts.edu/science/evolution/HorseEvolution.htm)

                          And here's some sites for evolution of dogs
                          _http://www.nhm.org/exhibitions/dogs/evolution/evolution.html_
                          (http://www.nhm.org/exhibitions/dogs/evolution/evolution.html)
                          _http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/5/l_015_02.html_
                          (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/5/l_015_02.html)