Has Vulcan been found?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2008
      URL to an article in USA Today
      _http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2008-10-26-epsilon-eridani-star-tr
      ek-earth_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip_
      (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2008-10-26-epsilon-eridani-star-trek-earth_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip)

      Seems perfectly logical to me.

      Star Trek fans, take heart — Mr. Spock's fabled home star, the nearby
      Epsilon Eridani, could harbor an Earth-like planet.
      NASA astronomers today report that the triple-ringed star has an asteroid
      belt and a Jupiter-like giant planet in roughly the same orbits as in our own
      solar system. Only 850 million years old, a fifth the age of Earth's sun,
      Epsilon Eridani resembles a younger twin to our solar system. About 62 trillion
      miles away, it is the closest known solar system.
      It was borrowed by the creators of the TV series Star Trek as the location
      of Vulcan, the planet that gave us the super-logical science officer Mr.
      Spock.

      "We certainly haven't seen it yet, but if its solar system is anything like
      ours, then there should be planets like ours," say astronomer Massimo Marengo
      of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass.
      The NASA Spitzer space telescope results, which measure the infrared heat
      given off by dust and ice rings circling the star, suggest Epsilon Eridani
      possesses three jumbo worlds, revealed by dust-free circular lanes in its
      asteroid belt and more distant comet belts."