How to harvest solar power? Beam it down from space!

    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2008
      URL to an interesting article from CNN
      _http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/05/30/space.solar/index.html_
      (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/05/30/space.solar/index.html)

      I think this concept has been around for at least 40 years, but rising
      energy prices and environmental concerns are bringing it back.

      First few paragraph
      "
      LONDON, England (CNN) -- Jyoti is the Hindi word for light. It's something
      Pranav Mehta has never had to live without. And he is lucky. Near where he
      lives in Gujarat, one of the most prosperous states in India, thousands of rural
      villages lack electricity or struggle with an intermittent supply at best.

      Massive solar satellites would beam power back to ground-based receivers on
      Earth.

      _more photos »_
      (javascript:CNN_changeMosaicTab('cnnPhotoCmpnt','photos.html');)

      "We need to empower these villages, and for empowerment, energy is a must,"
      Mehta said. "Rural India is suffering a lot because of a lack of energy."
      By 2030, India's Planning Commission estimates that the country will have to
      generate at least 700,000 megawatts of additional power to meet the demands
      of its expanding economy and growing population.
      Much of that electricity will come from coal-fired power plants, like the $4
      billion so-called ultra mega complex scheduled to be built south of Tunda
      Wand, a tiny village near the Gulf of Kutch, an inlet of the Arabian Sea on
      India's west coast. Dozens of other such projects are already or soon will be
      under way.
      Yet Mehta has another solution for India's chronic electricity shortage, one
      that does not involve power plants on the ground but instead massive
      sun-gathering satellites in geosynchronous orbits 22,000 miles in the sky.
      The satellites would electromagnetically beam gigawatts of solar energy back
      to ground-based receivers, where it would then be converted to electricity
      and transferred to power grids. And because in high Earth orbit, satellites
      are unaffected by the earth's shadow virtually 365 days a year, the floating
      power plants could provide round-the-clock clean, renewable electricity.

      Don't Miss
      * _Just Imagine: 2020_
      (http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/just.imagine/)
      * _Gardening in space_
      (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/05/20/ceac.wheeler/index.html?iref=intlOnlyonCNN)
      * _Who owns the moon?_
      (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/05/19/moon.land/index.html)
      * _Interview: Iain M. Banks_
      (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/05/15/iain.banks/index.html)

      "This will be kind of a leap frog action instead of just crawling," said
      Mehta, who is the director of India operations for Space Island Group, a
      California-based company working to develop solar satellites. "It is a win-win
      situation."
      American scientist Peter Glaser introduced the idea of space solar power in
      1968.
      _NASA_ (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/nasa) and the United States
      _Department of Energy_ (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/u_s_department_of_energy) studied
      the concept throughout the 1970s, concluding that although the technology
      was feasible, the price of putting it all together and sending it to outer
      space was not.
      "The estimated cost of all of the infrastructure to build them in space was
      about $1 trillion," said John Mankins, a former NASA technologist and
      president of the Space Power Association. "It was an unimaginable amount of money."
      NASA revisited space solar power with a "Fresh Look" study in the mid-'90s
      but again found that even though the technology needed for the satellites had
      become significantly cheaper and more advanced, the up-front costs were still
      prohibitive, Mankins said. By 2002, the project was indefinitely shelved --
      or so it seemed.
      "The conditions are ripe for something to happen on space solar power," said
      Charles Miller, a director of the Space Frontier Foundation, a group
      promoting public access to space. "The environment is perfect for a new start."
      Skyrocketing oil prices, a heightened awareness of climate change and
      worries about natural resource depletion have recently prompted a renewed interest
      in beaming extraterrestrial energy back to Earth, Miller explained.
      And so has a 2007 report released by the _Pentagon_
      (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/the_pentagon) 's National Security Space Office, encouraging the U.S.
      government to spearhead the development of space power systems.
      "A single kilometer-wide band of geosynchronous Earth orbit experiences
      enough solar flux in one year to nearly equal the amount of energy contained
      within all known recoverable conventional oil reserves on Earth today," the
      report said."

      Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2008
        Finally it was about time

        On 5/30/08, derhexer@... <derhexer@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > promoting public access to space. "The environment is perfect for a new
        > start."
        > Skyrocketing oil prices, a heightened awareness of climate change and
        > worries about natural resource depletion have recently prompted a renewed
        > interest
        > in beaming extraterrestrial energy back to Earth, Miller explained.
        > And so has a 2007 report released by the _Pentagon_
        > (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/the_pentagon) 's National Security Space
        > Office, encouraging the U.S.
        > government to spearhead the development of space power systems.
        > "A single kilometer-wide band of geosynchronous Earth orbit experiences
        > enough solar flux in one year to nearly equal the amount of energy
        > contained
        > within all known recoverable conventional oil reserves on Earth today," the

        ALEUS (The Avening Angel)