Re: [SFC] Re: State Legislators Seek Bills to Allow Questioning of Evolution ...

    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2008
      In a message dated 5/3/2008 9:40:42 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      incognitas@... writes:

      > Personally I prefer the UK's treatment of ID or creationism in
      schools.They include the discussion in the Religious Education
      syllabus but leave it off the Science syllabus.Both sides can then
      feel vindicated that the subject is discussed and they have a chance
      of winning hearts and minds without resorting to underhand or legal
      means to make themselves heard.

      That's interesting, but I can't see a public highs school or junior high in
      this country having a religious education class.

      Does anyone know if public schools have religious education classes or even
      surveys of religions in civics or social studies classes??

      When I was in junior high (before Madeleine Murray O'Hair won her lawsuit)
      our civics classes discussed the world's great religions.

      (And, yes, I am that old)

      favorites at AOL Food.

    • membi_99
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2008
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 5/3/2008 9:40:42 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
        > incognitas@... writes:
        >
        > > Personally I prefer the UK's treatment of ID or creationism in
        > schools.They include the discussion in the Religious Education
        > syllabus but leave it off the Science syllabus.Both sides can then
        > feel vindicated that the subject is discussed and they have a chance
        > of winning hearts and minds without resorting to underhand or legal
        > means to make themselves heard.
        >

        > That's interesting, but I can't see a public highs school or junior
        high in
        > this country having a religious education class.
        >
        > Does anyone know if public schools have religious education classes
        or even
        > surveys of religions in civics or social studies classes??
        >
        > When I was in junior high (before Madeleine Murray O'Hair won her
        lawsuit)
        > our civics classes discussed the world's great religions.
        >
        > (And, yes, I am that old)
        >
        > Chris

        So is there no effort to educate American children about differing
        religions at all?

        It's an integral part of The UK's curriculum.

        > )

      • S&K Enterprises
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2008
          they can get that part of their education just fine by attending a religious school.

          To: sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.comFrom: incognitas@...: Sat, 3 May 2008 19:30:36 +0000Subject: [SFC] Re: State Legislators Seek Bills to Allow Questioning of Evolution ...

          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@... wrote:>> > In a message dated 5/3/2008 9:40:42 A.M. Central Daylight Time, > incognitas@... writes:> > > Personally I prefer the UK's treatment of ID or creationism in> schools.They include the discussion in the Religious Education> syllabus but leave it off the Science syllabus.Both sides can then> feel vindicated that the subject is discussed and they have a chance> of winning hearts and minds without resorting to underhand or legal> means to make themselves heard.> > > > That's interesting, but I can't see a public highs school or juniorhigh in > this country having a religious education class.> > Does anyone know if public schools have religious education classesor even > surveys of religions in civics or social studies classes??> > When I was in junior high (before Madeleine Murray O'Hair won herlawsuit) > our civics classes discussed the world's great religions. > > (And, yes, I am that old)> > Chris> So is there no effort to educate American children about differingreligions at all?It's an integral part of The UK's curriculum.> > )> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>

        • membi_99
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2008
            See I think that is the worrying part..That by separating religious
            groups into separate educational establishments could lead to a form
            of separatism.It is thought here that comparative education will lead
            to less strife.

            Sadly it did seem to be working up to 9/11 in New York and 7/7 in
            London.Now I think there is a real danger of differing religions using
            faith schools to distance themselves even further apart particularly
            for Muslims.Lessons after school no longer seem enough.

            However this takes us away from the discussion of ID in schooling.

            --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, S&K Enterprises
            <sdandkg@...> wrote:

            > they can get that part of their education just fine by attending a
            religious school.

            > To: sciencefictionclassics@...: incognitas@...: Sat, 3 May 2008
            19:30:36 +0000Subject: [SFC] Re: State Legislators Seek Bills to Allow
            Questioning of Evolution ...