name/writer of a novel request

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2007
      I'm having trouble remembering name and author of a novel about an
      astronaut that returns from a slower then FTL mission to find everyone
      he knew dead, and the World substantially changed to become very safe.
      It ends with him stealing a car from a museum and crashing it.
      Can anyone help please?

      Cheers
      Greg
    • usernameIV
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2007
        It makes me think of The Forever War, or the Stallone movie Demolition
        Man (sorry about that one!!LOL)

        --
        Username IV

        Currently reading: Seeker, by Jack McDevitt
        Previous: Rainbows End, by Vernor Vinge
        The hidden Family, by Charles Stross

        Visit the Hard SF store at Amazon:
        http://astore.amazon.com/hardsfgrouaty-20
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2007
          Greg, I think it's "Return from the Stars" by the great and late Stanislaw
          Lem

        • Greg
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
            Yes, of course Aleus! It was a wonder I remembered even the contents
            because I think it was one of the first stories I read from my
            father's library.
            Thank you
            Greg

            --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Aleus Mundi"
            <novovacuum@...> wrote:

            > Greg, I think it's "Return from the Stars" by the great and late
            Stanislaw
            > Lem
            > --
            > The Transmundial rules all

          • Mike French
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
              I echo On Behalf of Greg's thanks; I too read it a very long time ago, but I
              well remember the fantastic sense of disorientation the hero experiences
              when just trying to use public transport for the first time...

              Mike

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
                If you cna include it into the database of book rewiews, by golly do it!