[SFC] Re: A Scary Thought

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, hectopede
      <no_reply@...> wrote:
      > The chemicals probably effect us too. According to one theory they
      > confuse the genetic memory of our immune system and our bodies start
      > pick fight with peanuts and tomatoes, with anything. This leads to
      > epidemic of allergies. Allergies were very rare in the beginning of
      the
      > 20th century.

      To be fair, there's other factors too perhaps. A lot of weaker babies
      just died, and our houses are almost vacuum packed (not to mention
      overheated)
    • hectopede
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
        <raybell_scot@...> wrote:

        > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, hectopede
        > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > > The chemicals probably effect us too. According to one theory they
        > > confuse the genetic memory of our immune system and our bodies
        start
        > > pick fight with peanuts and tomatoes, with anything. This leads to
        > > epidemic of allergies. Allergies were very rare in the beginning of
        > the
        > > 20th century.
        >
        > To be fair, there's other factors too perhaps. A lot of weaker babies
        > just died, and our houses are almost vacuum packed (not to mention
        > overheated)

        That's true, allergies don't have a completely satisfactory explanation
        yet. But the problem of allergy is not the weakness of organism. Vice
        versa, allergy is the excess of resistance power applied by our own
        bodies. Our strong bodies pick friendly targets. In the worst cases of
        autoallergy body starts to fight with its own tissues. For example skin
        peels off, bloody mess.

        Children mortality was high when the birth rate was also high. Now the
        mortality is low and birth rate is low too. In the beginning of the
        20th century 5% of German village population had some allergy, only 5%
        of people lived in cities. In 1970s 5% of population lived in the
        German countryside and 95% of them had some allergies. The reduced
        mortality of children cannot explain such a big statistical change.

        It is also a question of science fiction weather we can evolve fast
        enough to keep up with the speed of changes in environment caused by
        ourselves.

        Andri