Martian caves??

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
      URL to an article in MSNBC
      _http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17914041/_
      (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17914041/)

      This is the part where the Twilight Zone music kicks in, then a sharp-eyed
      areologist detects just a hint of something in one of the caves, then the
      Themis probe stops transmitting, then something lands in the commons.

      First few paragraphs
      "A Mars-orbiting satellite recently spotted seven dark spots near the
      planet's equator that scientists think could be entrances to underground caves.
      The football-field sized holes were observed by Mars Odyssey's Thermal
      Emission Imaging System (THEMIS) and have been dubbed the _seven sisters _
      (http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=070402_seven_sis
      ters_02.jpg&cap=A+THEMIS+image+showing+entrances+to+possible+Martian+caves,+du
      bbed+the+"seven+sisters."+Clockwise+from+upper-left:+Dena,+Chloe,+Wendy,+Annie
      %) — Dena, Chloe, Wendy, Annie, Abbey, Nikki and Jeanne —after loved ones
      of the researchers who found them. The potential caves were spotted near a
      massive Martian volcano, Arisa Mons. Their openings range from about 330 to 820
      feet (100 to 250 meters) wide, and one of them, Dena, is thought to extend
      nearly 430 feet (130 meters) beneath the planet's surface.
      The researchers hope the discovery will lead to more focused spelunking on
      Mars.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2007
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@... wrote:

        > URL to an article in MSNBC
        > _http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17914041/_
        > (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17914041/)
        >
        > This is the part where the Twilight Zone music kicks in, then a sharp-
        eyed
        > areologist detects just a hint of something in one of the caves, then
        the
        > Themis probe stops transmitting, then something lands in the commons.

        I guess this is no surprise at all, but still a great discovery. There
        are probably plenty of blocked caves as well.

        Anywhere with vulcanism is likely to be home to lava tubes, and if
        there is flowing water on the planet, it is bound to find its way to
        softer rock, or through fissures.