NASA Lacks Funds to find killer asteroids

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2007
      URL to an article in CNN
      _http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/03/06/nasa.asteroids.ap/index.html_
      (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/03/06/nasa.asteroids.ap/index.html)

      This reminds me of Niven & Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer, Clarke's Hammer of
      God, and a series by Harry Harrison, as well as two extremely dumb movies

      WASHINGTON (AP) -- NASA officials say the space agency is capable of finding
      nearly all the asteroids that might pose a devastating hit to Earth, but
      there isn't enough money to pay for the task so it won't get done.
      The cost to find at least 90 percent of the 20,000 potentially hazardous
      asteroids and comets by 2020 would be about $1 billion, according to a report
      NASA will release later this week. The report was previewed Monday at a
      Planetary Defense Conference in Washington.
      Congress in 2005 asked NASA to come up with a plan to track most killer
      asteroids and propose how to deflect the potentially catastrophic ones.
      "We know what to do, we just don't have the money," said Simon "Pete" Worden,
      director of NASA's Ames Research Center.
      These are asteroids that are bigger than 460 feet in diameter -- slightly
      smaller than the Superdome in New Orleans.
      They are a threat even if they don't hit Earth because if they explode while
      close enough -- an event caused by heating in both the rock and the
      atmosphere -- the devastation from the shockwaves is still immense. The explosion
      alone could have with the power of 100 million tons of dynamite, enough to
      devastate an entire state, such as Maryland, they said.
      The agency is already tracking bigger objects, at least 3,300 feet in
      diameter, that could wipe out most life on Earth, much like what is theorized to
      have happened to dinosaurs 65 million years ago.
      http://www.aol.com