Re: Music in science fiction

  • wolffwizard
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Mike B"
      <mjbphotos@...> wrote:

      > About 2 years ago I posed the question (I think over in the
      > Centreville group, which seems to be dead these days) asking if
      there
      > were any science fiction books that had music/musicians as the main
      > theme. I can't remember that anyone come up with any definitive
      > answers on this, although we do have dancers (Spider Robinson) and
      > musicians play important roles in many fantasy genre books, such as
      > the minstrel books by Lackey and McCaffrey's Pern stories.
      >
      > So with that in mind, I started my own story, set in the
      > not-too-distant future. Some of the questions I had to pose were:
      > 1) Will instruments have changed? (yes and no)
      > 2) Will the actual performance shave changed? (again, yes and no)
      > 3) How to describe music in words? (The really tough one!)

      ...................*
      WW:
      Human senses may change where the hearing range expands. The *damn*
      what is that word (kinesthesia) ability to see sounds may be an
      ability of the Homo-dominate (the hyperevolutionary leap in Homo homo
      sapian) may be possible or the ability of so Non-territrial race (not
      all creatures must be Extraterristrial on another planet (other
      planes or spheres are possible) A race born or evolved in the vacuum
      or a near vacuum type of space would have a totally different
      perspective on music, maybe even a thermal, tychyon view of sound.

      .......................*
      > I ended up realizing that describing music in words is almost
      > impossible, other than to give the general feel or atmosphere of
      the
      > piece,

      (thundering, whispering wind instruments, the howl or lilting
      melody,

      [the thrumping will-o-wisp chriping of the electric
      Tarpopkin hide drum.

      USE your limits and beyond, and the audience will go with you if you
      are adept.

      HAVE some faith my fellow jerphistoc, It is thelmoepian to surrender
      to your sanoric moods now.
      Wolfwizard..

      ......................*
      or writing the lyrics down. So the story had to be about the
      > musician him/herself.
      >
      > I ended up with a short novel, tweeked and re-tweeked.
      > I entered the story in gather.com's First Chapter Writing Contest,
      > which is really for complete novels, not just first chapters. If I
      > *win* in the first round, then the second part will be put online,
      and
      > again, the third part, and after a judging panel decides, maybe
      even
      > get published (don't squash my dreams yet!)
      > So if you'd like to help me, you can go to gather.com (you must
      > register first to vote) and give me "10 stars" - and you can also
      read
      > some of the competition's entries and give them low marks, that'll
      > help too.
      >
      > To register at gather.com, just go to the site or click on the
      following:
      > http://www.gather.com/register.jsp?beamBack=joinGroup.jsp%3fgrpId%
      3d3659174697244428&grpId=3659174697244428

      > The link to the first section of my story is:
      > http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474976913934
      >
      > You can view all the entries from the main page of the contest
      here:
      > http://firstchapters.gather.com/
      >
      > Just a note - if I don't make it past the first round, and anyone
      here
      > would like to read the whole story, just email me and I will email
      you
      > a copy in RTF or Word format.
      >
      > For those who saw this contest notice over in the Centreville
      group,
      > sorry for the duplication, but there seems to be more people in
      this
      > group than that one!
      >
      > Mike B

    • usernameIV
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
        Another two I can think of are "Queen City Jazz", which we recently
        read here, and of course Orson Scott Card's materpiece, Songmaster.

        --
        Username IV

        Currently reading: Calde of the Long Sun by Gene Wolfe
        Previous: Jupiter, by Ben Bova

        Visit the Hard SF store at Amazon:
        http://astore.amazon.com/hardsfgrouaty-20
      • Richard A Jenei
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
          At the risk of incurring the wrath of membi - "Green Hills of Earth"
          by Heinlein, a short story.

          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, wolffwizard