Endless Universe?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2007
      URL to an article in Science Daily News
      _http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070130091159.htm_
      (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070130091159.htm)

      Not as much fun as The Big Bang.

      Endless Universe Made Possible By New Model
      _Science Daily_ (http://www.sciencedaily.com/) — A new cosmological model
      demonstrates the universe can endlessly expand and contract, providing a rival
      to Big Bang theories and solving a thorny modern physics problem, according
      to University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill physicists.

      The cyclic model proposed by Dr. Paul Frampton, Louis J. Rubin Jr.
      distinguished professor of physics in UNC's College of Arts & Sciences, and co-author
      Lauris Baum, a UNC graduate student in physics, has four key parts:
      expansion, turnaround, contraction and bounce.
      During expansion, dark energy -- the unknown force causing the universe to
      expand at an accelerating rate -- pushes and pushes until all matter fragments
      into patches so far apart that nothing can bridge the gaps. Everything from
      black holes to atoms disintegrates. This point, just a fraction of a second
      before the end of time, is the turnaround.
      At the turnaround, each fragmented patch collapses and contracts individually
      instead of pulling back together in a reversal of the Big Bang. The patches
      become an infinite number of independent universes that contract and then
      bounce outward again, reinflating in a manner similar to the Big Bang. One patch
      becomes our universe.
      "This cycle happens an infinite number of times, thus eliminating any start
      or end of time," Frampton said. "There is no Big Bang."
      An article describing the model is available on the arXiv.org e-print archive
      and will appear in an upcoming issue of Physical Review Letters. The work
      was supported in part by a U.S. Department of Energy grant.
      Cosmologists first offered an oscillating universe model, with no beginning
      or end, as a Big Bang alternative in the 1930s. The idea was abandoned because
      the oscillations could not be reconciled with the rules of physics,
      including the second law of thermodynamics, Frampton said.
      The second law says entropy (a measure of disorder) can't be destroyed. But
      if entropy increases from one oscillation to the next, the universe becomes
      larger with each cycle. "The universe would grow like a runaway snowball,"
      Frampton said. Each oscillation will also become successively longer.
      "Extrapolating backwards in time, this implies that the oscillations before our present
      one were shorter and shorter. This leads inevitably to a Big Bang," he said.
      Frampton and Baum circumvent the Big Bang by postulating that, at the
      turnaround, any remaining entropy is in patches too remote for interaction. Having
      each "causal patch" become a separate universe allows each universe to
      contract essentially empty of matter and entropy. "The presence of any matter
      creates insuperable difficulties with contraction," Frampton said. "The idea of
      coming back empty is the most important ingredient of this new cyclic model."

      Chris

      (this e-mail sent with 100% recycled electrons)

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
        At least we now nkow the universe as a whole has future. I wonder how many
        interventions of the Kugel (Fred Pohl's *Gateway *series) would had happened
        till this current little universe?