Mars surface devoid of life

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2007
      URL to an article in MSNBC
      _http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873575/from/RS.1/_
      (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873575/from/RS.1/)

      This sounds like the highly respected 19th century scientists who said that
      humans would die if they traveled more than 60 miles/hour, or that we could
      never know anything about the interior of stars.

      I hope the next Rover pictures show Deja Thoris necking with Valentine
      Michael Smith..

      First few paragraphs
      "The last refuge for Martian life, if it exists, might be deep below the
      planet’s surface and beyond the reach of any currently planned missions,
      according to a new study.
      After mapping cosmic radiation levels at various depths on Mars, researchers
      have concluded that any life within the first several yards of the planet’s
      surface would be killed by lethal doses of cosmic radiation.
      The finding will be detailed in the Jan. 30 issue of the journal Geophysical
      Research Letters.

      Unlike Earth, Mars is no longer protected by a global magnetic field or
      thick atmosphere. As a result, the planet has been vulnerable to radiation from
      space for billions of years.

      “Even the hardiest cells we know of could not possibly survive the cosmic
      radiation near the surface of Mars for that long,” said study leader Lewis
      Dartnell of University College London."