Ohio considering spaceport deal

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2006
      URL to an article in MSNBC
      _http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15993507/_
      (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15993507/)

      Wouldn't be something if our kids could hear the following announcement on
      whatever passes for TV in the future, "The Columbus spaceport has been closed
      due to bad weather. Flights from Mars and the L5 colonies are being diverted
      to Sheboygan and Dallas"

      First few paragraphs
      "State and local officials in Ohio are considering an incentive package that
      would lead the Canadian-American rocket venture PlanetSpace to put the
      manufacturing and landing facilities for its suborbital spacecraft at a former
      military air base near Columbus, participants in the discussions told MSNBC.com
      Friday.
      The discussions are in a "very preliminary" stage, said Melissa Ament, a
      spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Development. However, economic
      development officials at the Columbus Regional Airport Authority and the Columbus
      Chamber said a decision on the incentive package could be reached within the next
      few weeks.
      Such a package could include tax credits, financing programs and training
      grants amounting to millions of dollars, said Matt McCollister, the
      seven-county chamber's vice president for economic development. PlanetSpace's chairman,
      Indian-American entrepreneur Chirinjeev Kathuria, told MSNBC.com he expected
      the incentives to amount to "somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 million."

      If PlanetSpace goes ahead with plans to put its suborbital facilities at
      Rickenbacker International Airport, which was once known as Lockbourne Air Force
      Base and now serves primarily as a cargo transport hub, Ohio would add
      another dot to a _U.S. spaceport map_ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15320942/)
      that already includes sites in California, Florida, Oklahoma, Alaska, Virginia
      and Texas (plus perhaps New Mexico and even Wisconsin someday)."

      Chris

      (no electrons were killed in sending this, though billions were horribly
      inconvenienced)

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2006
        Damn, it would be, besides derhexler, forget all I told the world was
        seeming more like Heinlein's future history, it looks more like an Allen
        Steele's novel come truth