Re: Showtime for spaceship builders

  • spider38ss
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A Jenei"
      <rajenei2@...> wrote:

      > Yes. All I remember is Benjamin, a character named Ficus and that it
      > was "My Mother the Car" bad.
      LOL! Yes, very bad indeed.
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 13, 2006
        Actually some serious work has been done about space debris in the
        Seiun-awarded anime "Planetes"

        On 10/12/06, spider38ss <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com<sciencefictionclassics%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "Richard A Jenei"
        > <rajenei2@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > By the way, the title was Salvage One.
        > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com<sciencefictionclassics%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "Richard A Jenei"
        > > <rajenei2@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > There was a short-lived TV series with Andy Griffith!!!! in the 70's
        > > > where he was a junk dealer who cobbled together a Moon rocket from
        > > > NASA cast offs.
        > > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com<sciencefictionclassics%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > spider38ss
        > > > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > > > >
        > Thanks man, your recollection triggered one for me as well. I
        > remember a late 70's series with Richard Benjamin in which he was
        > commander of a space garbage scow or something.
        > Steve

      • Wildfire
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 13, 2006
          That was called "Salvage One" based on a TV film "Salvage" strange you
          brought it up as i recently D/L it off of Bittorrent,not that bad
          really in a RAH kinda way...
          wildfire
          <rajenei2@...> wrote:

          > There was a short-lived TV series with Andy Griffith!!!! in the 70's
          > where he was a junk dealer who cobbled together a Moon rocket from
          > NASA cast offs.
          > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, spider38ss
          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@ wrote:
          > > >
          > > > URL to an article in MSNBC
          > > > _http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15157880/_
          > > > (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15157880/)
          > > >
          > > > Non-govt spaceship builders. Like something out an early RAH
          > > >
          > > > If anyone goes to Las Cruces, post a report for the rest of us
          > > please?
          > > >
          > > A very interesting article. Ah yes, one of the great pleasures of
          > RAH:
          > > his exploration of various political/economic models. One "space
          > > business" ought to be waste management!
          > >

          > http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/orbital_debris_0502
          > 02
          > > .html
          > >
          > > I'm trying to remember any speculative fiction with a character
          > who's a
          > > garbage collector.

        • Wildfire
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 13, 2006
            That was "Quark" lasted about 8 episodes
            wildfire
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A Jenei"
            > <rajenei2@> wrote:
            > >
            > > By the way, the title was Salvage One.
            > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A Jenei"
            > > <rajenei2@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > There was a short-lived TV series with Andy Griffith!!!! in the 70's
            > > > where he was a junk dealer who cobbled together a Moon rocket from
            > > > NASA cast offs.
            > > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, spider38ss
            > > > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > > > >
            > Thanks man, your recollection triggered one for me as well. I
            > remember a late 70's series with Richard Benjamin in which he was
            > commander of a space garbage scow or something.
            > Steve

          • spider38ss
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 15, 2006
              --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Wildfire"
              <wildfire160@...> wrote:

              > That was "Quark" lasted about 8 episodes
              > wildfire

              I wonder if renting some of these Quark episodes will be as
              devastatingly disappointing as the time I planned a weekend around
              watching the first season of Space 1999. I remember really liking Space
              1999 when I was an adolescent.......but it's true, you just can't go
              back! :D
              Spider
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 15, 2006
                Just like in Lafferty's tale