Re: Showtime for spaceship builders

  • Richard A Jenei
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
      There was a short-lived TV series with Andy Griffith!!!! in the 70's
      where he was a junk dealer who cobbled together a Moon rocket from
      NASA cast offs.
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, spider38ss
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@ wrote:
      > >
      > > URL to an article in MSNBC
      > > _http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15157880/_
      > > (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15157880/)
      > >
      > > Non-govt spaceship builders. Like something out an early RAH
      > >
      > > If anyone goes to Las Cruces, post a report for the rest of us
      > please?
      > >
      > A very interesting article. Ah yes, one of the great pleasures of
      RAH:
      > his exploration of various political/economic models. One "space
      > business" ought to be waste management!

      http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/orbital_debris_0502
      02
      > .html
      >
      > I'm trying to remember any speculative fiction with a character
      who's a
      > garbage collector.

    • Richard A Jenei
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
        By the way, the title was Salvage One.
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A Jenei"
        <rajenei2@...> wrote:

        > There was a short-lived TV series with Andy Griffith!!!! in the 70's
        > where he was a junk dealer who cobbled together a Moon rocket from
        > NASA cast offs.
        > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, spider38ss
        > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@ wrote:
        > > >
        > > > URL to an article in MSNBC
        > > > _http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15157880/_
        > > > (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15157880/)
        > > >
        > > > Non-govt spaceship builders. Like something out an early RAH
        > > >
        > > > If anyone goes to Las Cruces, post a report for the rest of us
        > > please?
        > > >
        > > A very interesting article. Ah yes, one of the great pleasures
        of
        > RAH:
        > > his exploration of various political/economic models. One "space
        > > business" ought to be waste management!

        http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/orbital_debris_0502
        > 02
        > > .html
        > >
        > > I'm trying to remember any speculative fiction with a character
        > who's a
        > > garbage collector.

      • spider38ss
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
          <rajenei2@...> wrote:

          > By the way, the title was Salvage One.
          > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A Jenei"
          > <rajenei2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > There was a short-lived TV series with Andy Griffith!!!! in the 70's
          > > where he was a junk dealer who cobbled together a Moon rocket from
          > > NASA cast offs.
          > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, spider38ss
          > > <no_reply@> wrote:

          Thanks man, your recollection triggered one for me as well. I
          remember a late 70's series with Richard Benjamin in which he was
          commander of a space garbage scow or something.
          Steve
        • Richard A Jenei
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
            Yes. All I remember is Benjamin, a character named Ficus and that it
            was "My Mother the Car" bad.
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A Jenei"
            > <rajenei2@> wrote:
            > >
            > > By the way, the title was Salvage One.
            > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A Jenei"
            > > <rajenei2@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > There was a short-lived TV series with Andy Griffith!!!! in the
            70's
            > > > where he was a junk dealer who cobbled together a Moon rocket
            from
            > > > NASA cast offs.
            > > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, spider38ss
            > > > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > > > >
            > Thanks man, your recollection triggered one for me as well. I
            > remember a late 70's series with Richard Benjamin in which he was
            > commander of a space garbage scow or something.
            > Steve

          • spider38ss
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
              <rajenei2@...> wrote:

              > Yes. All I remember is Benjamin, a character named Ficus and that it
              > was "My Mother the Car" bad.
              LOL! Yes, very bad indeed.
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 13, 2006
                Actually some serious work has been done about space debris in the
                Seiun-awarded anime "Planetes"

                On 10/12/06, spider38ss <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com<sciencefictionclassics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "Richard A Jenei"
                > <rajenei2@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > By the way, the title was Salvage One.
                > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com<sciencefictionclassics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "Richard A Jenei"
                > > <rajenei2@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > There was a short-lived TV series with Andy Griffith!!!! in the 70's
                > > > where he was a junk dealer who cobbled together a Moon rocket from
                > > > NASA cast offs.
                > > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com<sciencefictionclassics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > spider38ss
                > > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > > > >
                > Thanks man, your recollection triggered one for me as well. I
                > remember a late 70's series with Richard Benjamin in which he was
                > commander of a space garbage scow or something.
                > Steve

              • Wildfire
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 13, 2006
                  That was called "Salvage One" based on a TV film "Salvage" strange you
                  brought it up as i recently D/L it off of Bittorrent,not that bad
                  really in a RAH kinda way...
                  wildfire
                  <rajenei2@...> wrote:

                  > There was a short-lived TV series with Andy Griffith!!!! in the 70's
                  > where he was a junk dealer who cobbled together a Moon rocket from
                  > NASA cast offs.
                  > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, spider38ss
                  > <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@ wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > URL to an article in MSNBC
                  > > > _http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15157880/_
                  > > > (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15157880/)
                  > > >
                  > > > Non-govt spaceship builders. Like something out an early RAH
                  > > >
                  > > > If anyone goes to Las Cruces, post a report for the rest of us
                  > > please?
                  > > >
                  > > A very interesting article. Ah yes, one of the great pleasures of
                  > RAH:
                  > > his exploration of various political/economic models. One "space
                  > > business" ought to be waste management!
                  > >

                  > http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/orbital_debris_0502
                  > 02
                  > > .html
                  > >
                  > > I'm trying to remember any speculative fiction with a character
                  > who's a
                  > > garbage collector.

                • Wildfire
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 13, 2006
                    That was "Quark" lasted about 8 episodes
                    wildfire
                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A Jenei"
                    > <rajenei2@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > By the way, the title was Salvage One.
                    > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A Jenei"
                    > > <rajenei2@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > There was a short-lived TV series with Andy Griffith!!!! in the 70's
                    > > > where he was a junk dealer who cobbled together a Moon rocket from
                    > > > NASA cast offs.
                    > > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, spider38ss
                    > > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > > > >
                    > Thanks man, your recollection triggered one for me as well. I
                    > remember a late 70's series with Richard Benjamin in which he was
                    > commander of a space garbage scow or something.
                    > Steve

                  • spider38ss
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 15, 2006
                      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Wildfire"
                      <wildfire160@...> wrote:

                      > That was "Quark" lasted about 8 episodes
                      > wildfire

                      I wonder if renting some of these Quark episodes will be as
                      devastatingly disappointing as the time I planned a weekend around
                      watching the first season of Space 1999. I remember really liking Space
                      1999 when I was an adolescent.......but it's true, you just can't go
                      back! :D
                      Spider
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 15, 2006
                        Just like in Lafferty's tale