Massive bugs lived millions of years ago when there was more oxygen

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2006
      URL to an article that appeared in MSNBC
      _http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15223856/from/RS.4/_
      (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15223856/from/RS.4/)

      Reminds me of a science fiction novel from the 1930s or 1940s about humans
      who crash on an alien planet that has giant insects. I think it was by
      Hamilton.

      Now landlords have a ready excuse if anyone complains about cockroaches,
      "Not my fault. You must have too much oxygen in your apartment."

      Giant insects might crawl on Earth or fly above it if there was just more
      oxygen in the air, scientists report.
      Roughly 300 million years ago, giant insects scuttled around and fluttered
      over the planet, with _dragonflies_
      (http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060515_dragonfly_migration.html) bearing wingspans comparable to _hawks_
      (http://www.livescience.com/bestimg/index.php?url=birdsofprey_hawk_00.jpg&cat=birdsof
      prey) at two-and-a-half feet. Back then, oxygen made up 35 percent of the
      air, compared to the 21 percent we breathe now.
      Not all the insects back then were giants, but still, "maybe 10 percent were
      big enough to be considered giant," insect physiologist Alexander Kaiser at
      Midwestern University in Glendale, Ariz., told LiveScience."