Waking brain boots up like a computer

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2006
      URL to an article from MSNBC
      _http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14411739/_
      (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14411739/)

      Now I know what I need to CTRL-ALT-DEL a few times in the morning (and,
      please, let's not start a PC vs. Mac discussion)

      As we yawn and open our eyes in the morning, the brain stem sends little
      puffs of nitric oxide to another part of the brain, the thalamus, which then
      directs it elsewhere.
      Like a computer booting up its operating system before running more
      complicated programs, the nitric oxide triggers certain functions that set the stage
      for more complex brain operations, according to a new study.
      In these _first moments_
      (http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060323_sleep_deprivation.html) of the day, sensory information floods the system—the
      bright sunlight coming through the curtains, the time on the screeching alarm
      clock—and all of it needs to be processed and organized, so the brain can
      understand its surroundings and begin to perform more complex tasks."

      Chris

      (I hereby reject your reality and substitute my own)

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 20, 2006
        Could be worse firstworlder: you could use linux and thirdworlder
        technicians download inside your brain Windows ;=P