[SFC] Re: Silicon and the universe

  • wolffwizard
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 15, 2006
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, hectopede
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I always love it when you reveal the mathematician in yourself.
      >
      > Andri
      >
      > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Ignacio Viglizzo"
      > <viglizzo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > It's not so important how big the proportion of atoms in the
      known
      > > universe is. It's important to find out if silicon accumulates
      > > somewhere. It makes up around 25% of the mass of earth, for
      example.
      > > Plenty of it in one place!
      > >
      > > Here's a quite complete article:
      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon#Silicon-based_life

      -xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-

      Speaking of proportions... recently I saw an episode of StarGate
      Atlantis, where they hinted that the ancient cousin to the Wraith
      (what to our species would be the mole or a primate rat) was
      immune to most forms of attack ...??? except salt water.

      This same weakness is shown in the "Alien Nation" series, which one
      would postulate that this means these types of species did not
      evolve in a salt water environ.
      This begs the question, what type of primordial soup would breed a
      totally and radically different life form. Salt water or ammonina +
      methane ocean would not likely be the 'crib' to such life, yet the
      most likely environ available THOUGH.

      So, what environ would a silicon life form need to breed? We
      presumeably evolved from salt water, yet we are carbon based. What
      suits a silicon life form for a likely life launch pad?

      Wolfwizard.