XPost - need advice re' Bios by RC Wilson

  • cherylllr
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
      I saw this at the library, and the cover got my attention and my
      son's. He's 10, and never read an adult book before. Should I let
      him read this, or are there too many or too great 'mature themes' as
      they say? We're thinking about reading it together - if y'll don't
      warn us off reading it, at least is there anything you could warn us
      of? Thanks for any suggestions!

      Cheryl
    • Wildfire
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, cherylllr <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > I saw this at the library, and the cover got my attention and my
        > son's. He's 10, and never read an adult book before. Should I let
        > him read this, or are there too many or too great 'mature themes' as
        > they say? We're thinking about reading it together - if y'll don't
        > warn us off reading it, at least is there anything you could warn us
        > of? Thanks for any suggestions!
        >
        > Cheryl

        Ive read a few of his books but not this one,the reviews seem positive
        though....
        "Wilson's most tightly constructed pure adventure tale to date."--Locus
      • sabership2525
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2006
          Cheryl,
          I thought I posted this message yesterday, but it must have
          disappeared into a black hole. Anyway, here it is again:

          There is usually a lot of information on books on Amazon.com -- and
          this is the case with Bios. There are Editorial reviews, and reader
          reviews that may help you answer your question.
          If you're not that familiar with Amazon.com, once the home page comes
          up do the 'dropdown' and select 'Books', and in the search field put
          Bios. The Wilson book is the top selection that comes up. Select it,
          and read on! I do this on almost every book I am interested in.

          Hope this helps,
          Larry

          wrote:

          > I saw this at the library, and the cover got my attention and my
          > son's. He's 10, and never read an adult book before. Should I let
          > him read this, or are there too many or too great 'mature themes'
          as
          > they say? We're thinking about reading it together - if y'll don't
          > warn us off reading it, at least is there anything you could warn
          us
          > of? Thanks for any suggestions!
          >
          > Cheryl

        • cherylllr
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 27, 2006
            Thanks, yes I read Amazon customer reviews regularly. I was just
            hoping someone here had more personalized ideas. "preciate the
            reminder though.
          • Ignacio Viglizzo
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2006
              I don't think it's an appropiate book fot a 10yo. I remember there is
              some very disturbing issue related with sexual abuse or illegal
              cloning, I don't remember exactly what...
              For more friendly books for the young I recommend Rendezvous with
              Rama, Ender's Game and "The house of the Scorpion".
              Best,
              Ignacio

              --
              Ignacio
            • cherylllr
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 14, 2006
                Thanks - considering that I thought (as an adult) that even Ender's
                Game was pretty intense, I won't be sharing Bios with him.

                I do appreciate the advice. Sorry for the late reply, I took a long
                vacation and found a lot happened while I was gone in different online
                forums and my real life. But I'm going to try to catch up now! :)

                --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Ignacio Viglizzo"