Stanley Weinbaum

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2006
      One of my favorite authors from the 30s is Stanley Weinbaum. His Martian
      Odyssey revolutionized science fiction and set whole new paths for describing
      aliens. His writing was clear and lucid. I found Weinbaum when I found
      collection of Startling Stories magazines in the attic of a house we were living
      in in the mid-50s.

      There is an article about Weinbaum in Scifipedia at
      _http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.php/Stanley_G._Weinbaum_
      (http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.php/Stanley_G._Weinbaum)

      There is a quote about one of his best works The Black Flame
      "What may well be Weinbaum's best work, _The Black Flame_
      (http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.php?title=The_Black_Flame&action=edit) , appeared in a highly
      edited form in the first issue of _Startling Stories_
      (http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.php?title=Startling_Stories&action=edit) in _January 1939_
      (http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.php?title=January_1939&action=edit) . It is a
      story about America after a nuclear holocaust, told in an elegiac style
      sometimes reminiscent of Thomas Wolfe. The cut version of the novel was printed in
      book form in _1948_ (http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.php/1948) and has
      been reprinted in paperback. A copy of the complete manuscript was discovered in
      the early 1990's and appeared for the first time in book form in _1995_
      (http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.php/1995) "

      Does anyone out there know here I can find the Black Flame book published in
      1995?

      BTW, I'd love to start a thread about Weinbaum, and speculate how SF might
      be different today if Weinbaum instead of Campbell had been the dominating
      influence

    • hectopede
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19, 2006
        I've read only his Martian Odyssey and loved it. There are sci-fi
        writers and writers with imagination. He's definitely the last one.

        Andri