Mysterious red cells might be aliens

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
      URL to an article that appeared on CNN
      _http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/06/02/red.rain/index.html_
      (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/06/02/red.rain/index.html)

      This sounds like so many science fiction novels - Chtorr, Body Snatchers,
      etc. What's next - weird looking pods?

      First few paragraphs.
      "
      (_PopSci.com_ (http://www.popsci.com/popsci/) ) -- As bizarre as it may seem,
      the sample jars brimming with cloudy, reddish rainwater in Godfrey Louis's
      laboratory in southern India may hold, well, aliens.
      In April, Louis, a solid-state physicist at Mahatma Gandhi University,
      published a paper in the prestigious peer-reviewed journal Astrophysics and Space
      Science in which he hypothesizes that the samples -- water taken from the
      mysterious blood-colored showers that fell sporadically across Louis's home
      state of Kerala in the summer of 2001 -- contain microbes from outer space.
      Specifically, Louis has isolated strange, thick-walled, red-tinted cell-like
      structures about 10 microns in size. Stranger still, dozens of his
      experiments suggest that the particles may lack DNA yet still reproduce plentifully,
      even in water superheated to nearly 600 degrees Fahrenheit . (The known upper
      limit for life in water is about 250 degrees Fahrenheit .)
      So how to explain them? Louis speculates that the particles could be
      extraterrestrial bacteria adapted to the harsh conditions of space and that the
      microbes hitched a ride on a comet or meteorite that later broke apart in the
      upper atmosphere and mixed with rain clouds above India.
      If his theory proves correct, the cells would be the first confirmed evidence
      of alien life and, as such, could yield tantalizing new clues to the origins
      of life on Earth."

      Chris

      (this e-mail sent with 100% recycled electrons)

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
        Boy! Now this is groundbreaking! :=)

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2006
          Shades of Fred Hoyle.

          I believe in panspermia. Or at least I know a guy who's impregnated
          five women, and pays for none of the kids!