Strange black hole born near the beginning of time

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2006
      URL to an article in MSNBC
      _http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11728236/_
      (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11728236/)

      I wish I had the imagination to make this stuff up

      The most distant explosion ever recorded, signaling the birth of a black
      hole near the beginning of time, was more chaotic and lasted longer than
      astronomers would have expected.
      The event was first reported last fall. Today scientists released new
      findings and an _animation_
      (http://www.space.com/php/video/player.php?video_id=BlackHoleBirthBurst) that depicts a strange sequence of events in which the
      explosion of a massive star first settles down but then fires back up several
      times toward the end.
      Astronomers speculate that the black hole did not form instantly, as theory
      predicts, but that it was a prolonged process.

      "This was a massive star that lived fast and died young," said David
      Burrows, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at Penn State and author of one
      of three papers in the March 9 issue of the journal Nature.

      The burst, named GRB 050904, originated 12.8 billion light-years away, which
      means it occurred 12.8 billion years ago and the light took that long to
      reach us. It erupted very nearly at the beginning of time — the universe is
      about 13.7 billion years old.
      Infant universe
      The event provides the first glimpse of a star when the universe was in its
      infant stages. Until now, only entire galaxies had been observed so far
      away."