Stewing some novel ideas

  • wolffwizard
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2006
      Certainly horses are not the only genus, species or family to
      parallel evolve, but it was an excellent example for this 'ingenium'.

      .

      Equus Burchelli
      Asian breed.

      Equus Zebra.
      African

      Equus Grevi Imperial Zebra or Grevy's Zebra this one has incisors
      and inhabits eastern Africa. Apparently this is a case of parallel
      evolution where there is no connection between the two species of
      Equus Grevi and Equus Brchelli.

      I am very much interested in pursuing this type of logic. I
      believe it was "Ringworld" that had a master race of beings that
      had –seeded- the various planets; which is why all the diverse races
      were almost exclusively humanoid.

      If the base genes for a species are presented early enough into an
      environment the resulting evolution would result in very diverse yet
      occasional parallel genus and species that are not identical but
      appearing identical when observed casually.
      This could give some interesting plot development as a character
      is mistaken for another species in an alternate world. The creation
      of a very strict bounderies that the peoples –believe – the universe
      works under will have to be very strongly driven home with the
      reader.

      From wikipedia:
      Originally, most zoologists assumed that the stripes acted as a
      camouflage mechanism, while others believed them to play a role in
      social interactions, with slight variations of the pattern allowing
      the animals to distinguish between individuals. A more recent
      theory, supported by experiment, posits that the disruptive
      coloration is an effective means of confusing the visual system of
      the blood-sucking tsetse fly.
      Read the whole article at :
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra
      . - - - -- .
      I am throwing out some ideas here just to catalys some of my own
      creative process for the novel (planned).

      . . . . . . . .

      Zebras are sometimes cross-bred with other members of the horse
      family, resulting in various types of zebroids. A horse cross-bred
      with a zebra results in a zorse,
      :D

      Speak what you will.
      Wolfwizard.
      ……………*
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1 9:28 AM
        Something similiar happens in the Hain cycle of Ursula K. LeGuin.