Re: [SFC] SF in Horror

  • Johnboy
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
      I was reading an old SF book, Best SF of 1971
      edited by Carr and Woldheim, and several of the
      stories had a vague sense of dread/horror about them
      that made them them good stories. They even had
      the shock endings. Nowdays, it seems like the
      movies are just props to show some blood/death
      scenes. That's why I prefer the older books.
      Did you see this week's Invasion? That moment
      where the female character saw her rotting corpse
      in the water was truly a horrific moment but
      done very reserved. It was effective!
      jp

      > The vague sense of horror or dread, like the old Twilight Zone
      produces belongs on the Sci-Fi channel, but a lot of the trash (horror
      slash and kill, blood and guts) they still show doesn't, imo.
      > I wish they would get different programers.

      I agree. The Twilight Zone (more so the old one, but some of the new
      ones aren't terrible either!) is a classic. That's real horror.

      I guess a lot of what passes for horror seems to confuse disgust with
      fear. It's easy to shock, revolt etc someone, but scare them? That's
      different.

      I know the Sci-Fi Channel is on a budget, but I reckon that you can
      still get value for money if you know where to look. The best thing
      about it, while I had it, was that I could watch certain old programmes
      (esp. American) which had never been broadcasted here, or if they had,
      not repeated.

      Writing book Writing a book Science fiction and fantasy
      Writing book for child course

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
        In a message dated 11/18/2005 1:58:33 PM Central Standard Time,
        jhprice@... writes:

        I was reading an old SF book, Best SF of 1971
        edited by Carr and Woldheim, and several of the
        stories had a vague sense of dread/horror about them
        that made them them good stories. They even had
        the shock endings. Nowdays, it seems like the
        movies are just props to show some blood/death
        scenes. That's why I prefer the older books.
        Did you see this week's Invasion? That moment
        where the female character saw her rotting corpse
        in the water was truly a horrific moment but
        done very reserved. It was effective!

        I recall a short story by Charles Stross. A man is sitting in his office in
        Washington pondering the effects of overturning the Dresden Agreement. The
        Dresden Agreement kept secret the existence of a city built tens of millions
        of years ago by Lovecraftian Old Ones. As the story unfolds, we find that
        there are Yog-Sothoths and Cthulhus being restrained on Earth, gates to other
        universes, etc. I won't spoil the story, but it was a great example of the
        use of horror. I felt dread for days afterwards when I thought about it.

        Chris Rohrs

        (no electrons were killed in sending this, though billions were horribly
        inconvenienced)

      • Johnboy

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 21, 2005
            Yeah, I read the story once in fantasticplanet.com<http://fantasticplanet.com>?
            I unfortunatelly don't remember the homepgae but it's good, strong, powerful
            and chilly, specially the end, Johnboy.

            On 11/21/05, Johnboy <jhprice@...> wrote:

            > I will try to look that story up.
            > jp
            >

            > I recall a short story by Charles Stross. A man is sitting in his office
            > in
            > Washington pondering the effects of overturning the Dresden Agreement. The
            >
            > Dresden Agreement kept secret the existence of a city built tens of
            > millions
            > of years ago by Lovecraftian Old Ones. As the story unfolds, we find that
            > there are Yog-Sothoths and Cthulhus being restrained on Earth, gates to
            > other
            > universes, etc. I won't spoil the story, but it was a great example of the
            >
            > use of horror. I felt dread for days afterwards when I thought about it.
            >
            > Chris Rohrs
            >
            > (no electrons were killed in sending this, though billions were horribly
            > inconvenienced)

            > ------------------------------

          • Ignacio Viglizzo
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 25, 2005
              It's probably "A colder war":
              http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

              On 11/21/05, Johnboy wrote:

              > I will try to look that story up.
              > jp
              >

              > I recall a short story by Charles Stross. A man is sitting in his office
              > in
              > Washington pondering the effects of overturning the Dresden Agreement. The
              >
              > Dresden Agreement kept secret the existence of a city built tens of
              > millions
              > of years ago by Lovecraftian Old Ones. As the story unfolds, we find that
              > there are Yog-Sothoths and Cthulhus being restrained on Earth, gates to
              > other
              > universes, etc. I won't spoil the story, but it was a great example of the
              >
              > use of horror. I felt dread for days afterwards when I thought about it.
              >
              > Chris Rohrs
              >
              > (no electrons were killed in sending this, though billions were horribly
              > inconvenienced)

              Ignacio

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 25, 2005
                Indeed (so, so Teal'ckish!), that is it!