Clarke

  • Cheryl L Martin
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2005
      --- Steve Something <ss1400@...> wrote:

      > If someone would like to join with me in reading some early Clarke
      > shorts and discussing them I will do my part. I pick Clarke since
      > his "complete collected fiction" is in print and on the shelves of
      > B&N which means anyone posting here can get a copy even if they have
      > some bizarre problem with libraries.

      Sounds good to me. What Clarke are you reading?

      Cheryl

      cheryl@...
      http://www.grumpywitch.org/
      "If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be
      afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."--Flavia Weedn
    • membi_99
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Something"
        <ss1400@y...> wrote:

        > I believe you are right inasmuch as Amy doesn't monitor this group as
        > closely as she might. The quick answer would be to forbid her to post
        > (I am not gonna waste hours wading through her stuff to see what is
        > relevant and what isn't so moderated posts are not my first choice
        > here) but I still retain a little sapnoidity and want to give her a
        > chance to appreciate the problem and react on her own.
        >
        >You know I've been annoyed about it for some time and I've asked her
        several times to either desist or participate in any discussions but
        got no reaction at all.I'm not sure she will even notice this
        discussion I'm sorry to say.
      • Steve Something
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 12, 2005
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl L Martin
          <grumpywitch@y...> wrote:

          > --- Steve Something <ss1400@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > If someone would like to join with me in reading some early
          Clarke
          > > shorts and discussing them I will do my part. I pick Clarke since
          > > his "complete collected fiction" is in print and on the shelves
          of
          > > B&N which means anyone posting here can get a copy even if they
          have
          > > some bizarre problem with libraries.
          >
          > Sounds good to me. What Clarke are you reading?
          >
          > Cheryl
          >
          > cheryl@g...
          > http://www.grumpywitch.org/
          > "If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never
          be
          > afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."--Flavia
          Weedn

          Everything short of the novels, if the book is acurately described.

          Memorable shorts for me that go back to my mid-teens reading
          include "Times Arrow", "The Nine Billion Names Of God (great punch
          line) and the one about the guy who gets inverted left/right after an
          accident with a superconducting generator, sorry the title escapes me.

          Clarkes stuff can be a bit dry, but he does great scenery.

          Steve
        • Mike B
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
            I've always enjoyed the Clarke books I've read, although they tend to
            be on the drier side (IMO) and I seldom have gone back to re-read any.

            Just finished Albert Merritt's "The Moon Pool" in e-book format, ont
            he reecommendation of someone here (or at CV2), now moving on to his
            Metal Monster. Find him a bit over-descriptive and old-fashioned,
            similar in style to the translated Verne stuff. Interesting ideas,
            though.

            Mike B

            <ss1400@y...> wrote:

            > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl L Martin
            > <grumpywitch@y...> wrote:
            > >

            > > --- Steve Something <ss1400@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > If someone would like to join with me in reading some early
            > Clarke
            > > > shorts and discussing them I will do my part. I pick Clarke since
            > > > his "complete collected fiction" is in print and on the shelves
            > of
            > > > B&N which means anyone posting here can get a copy even if they
            > have
            > > > some bizarre problem with libraries.
            > >
            > > Sounds good to me. What Clarke are you reading?
            > >
            > > Cheryl
            > >
            > > cheryl@g...
            > > http://www.grumpywitch.org/
            > > "If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never
            > be
            > > afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."--Flavia
            > Weedn
            > >

            > Everything short of the novels, if the book is acurately described.
            >
            > Memorable shorts for me that go back to my mid-teens reading
            > include "Times Arrow", "The Nine Billion Names Of God (great punch
            > line) and the one about the guy who gets inverted left/right after an
            > accident with a superconducting generator, sorry the title escapes me.
            >
            > Clarkes stuff can be a bit dry, but he does great scenery.
            >
            > Steve

          • Cheryl L Martin
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
              --- Steve Something <ss1400@...> wrote:

              > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl L Martin
              > <grumpywitch@y...> wrote:
              > >

              > > --- Steve Something <ss1400@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > If someone would like to join with me in reading some early
              > Clarke
              > > > shorts and discussing them I will do my part. I pick Clarke since
              > > > his "complete collected fiction" is in print and on the shelves
              > of
              > > > B&N which means anyone posting here can get a copy even if they
              > have
              > > > some bizarre problem with libraries.
              > >
              > > Sounds good to me. What Clarke are you reading?
              > >
              > > Cheryl

              > Everything short of the novels, if the book is acurately described.
              >
              > Memorable shorts for me that go back to my mid-teens reading
              > include "Times Arrow", "The Nine Billion Names Of God (great punch
              > line) and the one about the guy who gets inverted left/right after an
              > accident with a superconducting generator, sorry the title escapes me.
              >
              > Clarkes stuff can be a bit dry, but he does great scenery.

              I'll have to look through our library see what we've got. Then I'll be able to
              contribute to the discussion!

              I'm also going to finally get started on the Lensman series due to the recent
              talk here!

              Thanks guys,

              Cheryl

              cheryl@...
              http://www.grumpywitch.org/
              "If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be
              afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."--Flavia Weedn
            • Ignacio Viglizzo
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
                Mike B <mjbphotos@...> wrote:

                I've always enjoyed the Clarke books I've read, although they tend to
                be on the drier side (IMO) and I seldom have gone back to re-read any.

                I'm on the other extreme, then, Clarke's book are of the few I've re-read. In particular 2001, 2010 and Renez-vous with Rama. Rama is more of place for me than a book. I like going back there ;-)

                Ignacio