Waht's the purpose of the group?

  • Steve Something
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2005
      I believe you are right inasmuch as Amy doesn't monitor this group as
      closely as she might. The quick answer would be to forbid her to post
      (I am not gonna waste hours wading through her stuff to see what is
      relevant and what isn't so moderated posts are not my first choice
      here) but I still retain a little sapnoidity and want to give her a
      chance to appreciate the problem and react on her own.

      As for being "told to chill", you are a moderator. The only person
      who can "tell" you such would be the owner of the group.

      I'm reading some truly classic SF by almost every definition of the
      word right now. I'd much rather read it than discuss it these days
      simply because posts along the lines of "I'm reading this great
      Clarke story" trigger roughly 3 times more mail yowling that Clarke
      stories are rubbish than those wishing to properly discuss the one
      I'm reading.

      I used to defend my choices here, and those of others. I also used to
      criticise other's choices. I eventually realised that I had no
      interest in persuading people so set in their values to appreciate
      what I saw in the stories I read, and that these people were making
      me into clones of them in the process. My own tone was becoming more
      strident and I had less patience for those views I felt naive.

      There came a point when I refused to answer the posts of cetain
      members simply because it would involve me in (to me at the time)
      fruitless arguments rather than lively discussion.

      The members don't know the history here so I'll do a quick recap. I
      was asked by the other moderators, in private, to explain my
      behaviour, and during my composing the response to that I saw that I
      had become the enemy myself and resolved to distance myself from the
      day-to-day participation of the group. This has caused more work for
      membi99 and viglizo, but I couldn't see any other path.

      From time to time I have looked in and posted, but I haven't really
      participated for about two years now. The bonus is that I have been
      enjoying reading SF again, and realised that I do it for me not for
      you lot. I don't care what you guys define as SF/!SF because I would
      certainly disagree with you, I don't care what you define as SF
      anyway and the debate is about the only one that I wouldn't want to
      see re-started here since by definition it can go nowhere. I also
      realised that tha discussions (ie arguments) that we had here were of
      a type I wouldn't have in person if I was sitting with the members in
      question in (say) a starbucks with them (*there's* some hard SF right
      there; me in a starbucks).

      However.

      If someone would like to join with me in reading some early Clarke
      shorts and discussing them I will do my part. I pick Clarke since
      his "complete collected fiction" is in print and on the shelves of
      B&N which means anyone posting here can get a copy even if they have
      some bizarre problem with libraries.

      Steve.

      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "membi_99"
      <incognitas@g...> wrote:

      > My main concern is that it is very difficult to maintain a
      discussion
      > in amongst the repeated spam and run from certain group members.I
      > think many members may have turned off their email notifications
      > because of the sheer amount of it.In fact I hadn't realised how bad
      it
      > had got because I was filtering it out in my Gmail inbox and when I
      > reversed the filter after Steve complained about it I was stunned at
      > how much there was.I only filtered it out because the last time I
      > complained I was told to chill about it.;-)

      <snippy>
    • Cheryl L Martin
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2005
        --- Steve Something <ss1400@...> wrote:

        > If someone would like to join with me in reading some early Clarke
        > shorts and discussing them I will do my part. I pick Clarke since
        > his "complete collected fiction" is in print and on the shelves of
        > B&N which means anyone posting here can get a copy even if they have
        > some bizarre problem with libraries.

        Sounds good to me. What Clarke are you reading?

        Cheryl

        cheryl@...
        http://www.grumpywitch.org/
        "If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be
        afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."--Flavia Weedn
      • membi_99
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Something"
          <ss1400@y...> wrote:

          > I believe you are right inasmuch as Amy doesn't monitor this group as
          > closely as she might. The quick answer would be to forbid her to post
          > (I am not gonna waste hours wading through her stuff to see what is
          > relevant and what isn't so moderated posts are not my first choice
          > here) but I still retain a little sapnoidity and want to give her a
          > chance to appreciate the problem and react on her own.
          >
          >You know I've been annoyed about it for some time and I've asked her
          several times to either desist or participate in any discussions but
          got no reaction at all.I'm not sure she will even notice this
          discussion I'm sorry to say.
        • Steve Something
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 12, 2005
            --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl L Martin
            <grumpywitch@y...> wrote:

            > --- Steve Something <ss1400@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > If someone would like to join with me in reading some early
            Clarke
            > > shorts and discussing them I will do my part. I pick Clarke since
            > > his "complete collected fiction" is in print and on the shelves
            of
            > > B&N which means anyone posting here can get a copy even if they
            have
            > > some bizarre problem with libraries.
            >
            > Sounds good to me. What Clarke are you reading?
            >
            > Cheryl
            >
            > cheryl@g...
            > http://www.grumpywitch.org/
            > "If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never
            be
            > afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."--Flavia
            Weedn

            Everything short of the novels, if the book is acurately described.

            Memorable shorts for me that go back to my mid-teens reading
            include "Times Arrow", "The Nine Billion Names Of God (great punch
            line) and the one about the guy who gets inverted left/right after an
            accident with a superconducting generator, sorry the title escapes me.

            Clarkes stuff can be a bit dry, but he does great scenery.

            Steve
          • Mike B
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
              I've always enjoyed the Clarke books I've read, although they tend to
              be on the drier side (IMO) and I seldom have gone back to re-read any.

              Just finished Albert Merritt's "The Moon Pool" in e-book format, ont
              he reecommendation of someone here (or at CV2), now moving on to his
              Metal Monster. Find him a bit over-descriptive and old-fashioned,
              similar in style to the translated Verne stuff. Interesting ideas,
              though.

              Mike B

              <ss1400@y...> wrote:

              > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl L Martin
              > <grumpywitch@y...> wrote:
              > >

              > > --- Steve Something <ss1400@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > If someone would like to join with me in reading some early
              > Clarke
              > > > shorts and discussing them I will do my part. I pick Clarke since
              > > > his "complete collected fiction" is in print and on the shelves
              > of
              > > > B&N which means anyone posting here can get a copy even if they
              > have
              > > > some bizarre problem with libraries.
              > >
              > > Sounds good to me. What Clarke are you reading?
              > >
              > > Cheryl
              > >
              > > cheryl@g...
              > > http://www.grumpywitch.org/
              > > "If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never
              > be
              > > afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."--Flavia
              > Weedn
              > >

              > Everything short of the novels, if the book is acurately described.
              >
              > Memorable shorts for me that go back to my mid-teens reading
              > include "Times Arrow", "The Nine Billion Names Of God (great punch
              > line) and the one about the guy who gets inverted left/right after an
              > accident with a superconducting generator, sorry the title escapes me.
              >
              > Clarkes stuff can be a bit dry, but he does great scenery.
              >
              > Steve

            • Cheryl L Martin
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
                --- Steve Something <ss1400@...> wrote:

                > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl L Martin
                > <grumpywitch@y...> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- Steve Something <ss1400@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > If someone would like to join with me in reading some early
                > Clarke
                > > > shorts and discussing them I will do my part. I pick Clarke since
                > > > his "complete collected fiction" is in print and on the shelves
                > of
                > > > B&N which means anyone posting here can get a copy even if they
                > have
                > > > some bizarre problem with libraries.
                > >
                > > Sounds good to me. What Clarke are you reading?
                > >
                > > Cheryl

                > Everything short of the novels, if the book is acurately described.
                >
                > Memorable shorts for me that go back to my mid-teens reading
                > include "Times Arrow", "The Nine Billion Names Of God (great punch
                > line) and the one about the guy who gets inverted left/right after an
                > accident with a superconducting generator, sorry the title escapes me.
                >
                > Clarkes stuff can be a bit dry, but he does great scenery.

                I'll have to look through our library see what we've got. Then I'll be able to
                contribute to the discussion!

                I'm also going to finally get started on the Lensman series due to the recent
                talk here!

                Thanks guys,

                Cheryl

                cheryl@...
                http://www.grumpywitch.org/
                "If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be
                afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."--Flavia Weedn
              • Ignacio Viglizzo
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
                  Mike B <mjbphotos@...> wrote:

                  I've always enjoyed the Clarke books I've read, although they tend to
                  be on the drier side (IMO) and I seldom have gone back to re-read any.

                  I'm on the other extreme, then, Clarke's book are of the few I've re-read. In particular 2001, 2010 and Renez-vous with Rama. Rama is more of place for me than a book. I like going back there ;-)

                  Ignacio