Is anyone actually doing ANY reading

  • membi_99
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2005
      Because we don't seem to be discussing any if we are...

      I've just finished Neil Asher's The Skinner.I found it much more
      enjoyable than Gridlinked and Line of Polity.However his books really
      are not for the faint hearted being very violent.Good job I'm not
      squeamish.:)
    • Mike B
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2005
        Some people seem to take the summer off from reading!

        I just finished Burrough's 'Thuvia, Maid of Mars', the 4th book in the
        Barsoom series, and I'm about 1/3 of the way into Chessman of Mars -
        unfortunately, the last of the Barsoom series that gutenberg.org
        currently has available in e-format.
        Also reading: Dream Park, cowritten by Larry Niven (an oldie I picked
        up in the library buck-a-bag sale a year or two ago) and The Annotated
        Hobbit, which has a lot of previous version/factual info added int eh
        margins to the original story.

        Mike B

        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "membi_99"

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2005
          <incognitas@g...> wrote:
          > Because we don't seem to be discussing any if we are...
          >
          > I've just finished Neil Asher's The Skinner.I found it much more
          > enjoyable than Gridlinked and Line of Polity.However his books really
          > are not for the faint hearted being very violent.Good job I'm not
          > squeamish.:)

          I'm reading Bulgakov's "The Heart of a Dog". I suppose that counts as
          SF. Putting human hearts in dogs and all...
        • Wildfire
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 30, 2005
            <incognitas@g...> wrote:
            > Because we don't seem to be discussing any if we are...
            >
            > I've just finished Neil Asher's The Skinner.I found it much more
            > enjoyable than Gridlinked and Line of Polity.However his books really
            > are not for the faint hearted being very violent.Good job I'm not
            > squeamish.:)
            Im flying through books at the moment ive been on a major book buying
            spree and my tbr pile is bloody huge..14 books just this week
            Current reading
            The High Lord by Trudi Canavan
            Scattered Suns by Kevin j Anderson
            Wildfire
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 30, 2005
              --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
              <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
              > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "membi_99"
              > <incognitas@g...> wrote:
              > > Because we don't seem to be discussing any if we are...
              > >
              > > I've just finished Neil Asher's The Skinner.I found it much more
              > > enjoyable than Gridlinked and Line of Polity.However his books
              really
              > > are not for the faint hearted being very violent.Good job I'm not
              > > squeamish.:)
              >
              > I'm reading Bulgakov's "The Heart of a Dog". I suppose that counts as
              > SF. Putting human hearts in dogs and all...

              Actually not quite accurate. Just finished the book. The dog gets given
              human testicles and pituitary (sp?) gland. Quite funny.
            • Ignacio Viglizzo
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 30, 2005
                Actually reading, huh? Yes, I'm always reading _something_... Right now it's Dan Simmons' Ilium, which is really really good. I feel I cannot recommend it enough. The writing is brilliant, full of ideas, wit, and literate.

                Ignacio

              • Allen Smith
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 30, 2005
                  I have a ton of books on hand to read, am currently reading the non-fiction book Intelligence in War by John Keegan, who is an excellent writer. I have Susannah Clarke's novel Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on hand, that probably will be next.

                  Allen Smith

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                    membi_99 <incognitas@...> wrote:
                    Because we don't seem to be discussing any if we are...

                    I've just finished Neil Asher's The Skinner.I found it much more
                    enjoyable than Gridlinked and Line of Polity.However his books really
                    are not for the faint hearted being very violent.Good job I'm not
                    squeamish.:)

                    Not so long ago, I read Gridlinked by Asher...
                    Spoiler space first

                    Here are some bits of reviews I agree with, so this is not a review, but
                    an anthology of out-of-context bits ;-)

                    "if Asher had kept this train of thought going throughout the novel, it
                    would have been a whole lot better."

                    "It would have been interesting had Cormac's cyber withdrawal actually
                    had some bearing on the plot, but it really never does."

                    "the theme of
                    Cormac being separated from the grid was never fully explored later in
                    the book. I would have liked to see this continued throughout the novel"

                    examples of that dry British wit we Yanks love so much, such as in his
                    description of the killer android Mr Crane: "They called him Crane because
                    he was so very tall. They called him Mr Crane because he was so very prone
                    to dismembering people."

                    I must say that the ending was a bit confusing to me, and I expected
                    Cormac to suffer more from his separation from the AI network

                    The last few pages move very fast and feel a bit muddled

                    There are Encyclopaedia Galactica-esque quotations at the start of each
                    chapter

                    full marks for effort, but I hope he takes a little bit more time to think
                    about what he's writing in future.

                    I was expecting great things from "GRIDLINKED"

                    However at the end of the book I realised that I hadn't enjoyed it as much
                    as I wanted to. I didn't really care for the characters.the plot at the
                    end seemed a bit confused to me and I was left wondering what had actually
                    happened...
                    -------------------

                    ALTERNATIVE ENDING!!!!
                    http://www.nealasher.com/page.php?mod=content&cont=gridlink_scooby
                    Explains what Cormac had in mind towards the end!
                    I'd give this book a 6 if it had this alternative ending (or, better all
                    that information would have been more subtly revealed...) as it is, i'll
                    have to go with a 5. (Raja, did you take note of other scores?)

                    I kept falling asleep while reading this book. I don't know if it was me
                    being very tired or the book itself... most reviews call it a page turner! I'm not sure I want to try another of Asher's books. However, if memby says "The Skinner" is better...

                    eh,

                    Ignacio

                    Ignacio