Mars - never again in our life times

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2005
      The Red Planet is about to be spectacular!
      This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that
      will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded
      history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way
      Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be
      certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but
      it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

      The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within
      34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in
      the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of 2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc
      seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification .

      Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.
      Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the
      east at 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. By the end of August when
      the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its
      highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something
      that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at
      the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter
      throughout the month.

      Share this with your children and grandchildren.

      NO ONE ALIVE TODAY
      WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

    • Brandon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2005
        Nope. Check snopes:

        http://www.snopes.com/science/mars.asp

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2005
          All right. I screwed up on this one and sent off a post w/o checking.
          Please accept my apologies

        • bell_raymond
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
            --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@a... wrote:

            > All right. I screwed up on this one and sent off a post w/o
            checking.
            > Please accept my apologies

            I don't know much about astrophysics (sounds like a song eh?), but I
            think the biggest blooper in that piece was that Mars would be as
            big/bright as the full Moon. It never comes anywhere near that close,
            and god knows what the gravitional effects would be on each planet's
            orbit (never mind the Moon itself).

            I did have a dream once where Mars was that big in the sky, but that's
            another story.