9756Re: [Hard SF] World population expected to increase by 40% by 2050

    Mar 1, 2005
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Brandon
      <jchance@a...> wrote:

      > derhexer@a... wrote:
      >

      > > Between 2005 and 2050, eight countries â€" India, Pakistan,
      Nigeria, Congo,
      > > Bangladesh, Uganda, the United States, Ethiopia and China â€"
      are likely to
      > > contribute half of the world’s population increase, the report
      said."

      > The list is a little misleading. The fertility rate in the
      > U.S. is 2.07 children born per woman, which is slightly
      > below the replacement rate. The only reason U.S. population
      > continues to grow is immigration.
      >
      > http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html

      Some exceptions though Brandon. Utah has very low immigration (in
      fact I've been told it's the "whitest" state), but a high birthrate,
      partly due to religious reasons.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic