11079Who could guess that? Re: [SFC] newly discovered etc.

  • hectopede
    Dec 8, 2006
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
      <raybell_scot@...> wrote:

      > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, hectopede
      > > I can't agree that Arhtur C. Clarke is soft SF. How define hard
      SF? I
      > > thought that the distance from real science makes SF hard: the
      closer
      > > the harder. Of all the writers Arthur C. Clarke's predictions in
      > > science and technology are the closest to reality. How can one be
      > > more hard in SF?
      >
      > Plus, he has been in long contact with the world of science fact in
      > some way or other.
      >
      > I believe he devised the idea of geostationary and communication
      > satellites, surely one of the most revolutionary concepts of our
      time,
      > and partly why we can regularly watch programmes from other
      continents.

      Didn't he also patent the concept leaving it free to use? Anyway, of
      two concepts of the space future, the star wars and
      communication/entertainment, the second, Clarke's one proved to be
      correct.

      There are things that have become everyday practice I cannot imagine
      I could guess some years ago. Like exchanging signatures with a taxi
      driver when paying after a trip. Does anybody remember any sci-fi
      writer or filmmaker depecting such a routine in their work? We once
      discussed what predictions of sci-fi turned out to be correct. What
      are the changes that were not predicted?

      Andri
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic