11069Re: [SFC] newly discovered tidbit about sex from Clarke

  • hectopede
    Dec 4, 2006
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Aleus Mundi"
      <novovacuum@...> wrote:

      > Artie Clarke is not a Hard SF author, those who write under his pen
      name
      > are.
      >
      > On 11/21/06, cherylllr <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > > Many critics consider J.G.
      > > Ballard's 'Crush' (1973), in which he interweaves images of
      technology
      > > and sex to comment on the alienation of technological society, the
      > > most distinguished example of "pornographic" science
      > > fiction.

      Ballard's "Crush" was a good one ;) Actually, "Crash". His "The
      Unlimited Dream Company" is highly erotic. The most repetitive thing
      he has written, no wonder. Most Ballard's characters are a bit like
      Borat, they love sex and keep getting "swollen" all the time.

      I can't agree that Arhtur C. Clarke is soft SF. How define hard SF? I
      thought that the distance from real science makes SF hard: the closer
      the harder. Of all the writers Arthur C. Clarke's predictions in
      science and technology are the closest to reality. How can one be
      more hard in SF?

      Andri
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic