11063Re: newly discovered tidbit about sex from Clarke

    Dec 2, 2006
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, cherylllr <no_reply@...>
      wrote:
      > Given that science fiction's early days were primarily a boy's club,
      > it's not surprising that sex received little serious treatment beofre
      > the 1960s (brazen pulpcovers don't count).

      Hmmm... not sure that being a "boy's club" really stopped the "serious
      treatment". I think it was far more simple, i.e. before the 1960s, if
      you wrote about sex you were less likely to be read, let alone to sell,
      on a mainstream market, and would have risked censorship in many
      places. Not to mention the fact that serious (as opposed to pulp)
      science fiction has often been written by scientists, nerds, and the
      type of people who we don't exactly associate with high sexuality of
      any kind!
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic