RE: [Scherenschnitte] Cutting color - christopher

  • christopher woo
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi Jeanette,

      Thank you for your welcome and your praises for the papercuts my two sisters
      did. I am very interested in paper cutting, but I can only cut simple ones.
      You know, red is the most traditional color in the whole history of China.
      Chinese have a passion for red. Papercuts are mainly used for celebrations
      in China, such as wedding, birthday and Chinese New Year or Spring Festival.
      What Rina says are so right. I think she is quite expect at it. I'll say
      thank you Rina for your kind and ideal answers. And I like to say I enjoy
      the group and thank you all of you.
      My sisters use black papers for their cutting. I will upload one to show
      you. Hope you all like it just as the red one.

      Christopher

      >From: Jeanette <jeaholm@...>
      >To: scherenschnitte@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Scherenschnitte] Cutting color - christopher
      >Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:39:08 -0800 (PST)
      >
      >Hi Christopher,
      >
      > I think your monkey is adorable! I have a question and I hope that you
      >don't take this the wrong way, it's not meant as an insult or anything bad
      >I am just wondering about your choice of paper color. You see the majority
      >of all of the paper cuttings that I have seen and done are done in black. I
      >was wondering if you chose red because you like the color of if it has a
      >meaning, like good luck or something? Don't get me wrong, now that I have
      >seen a cutting done in red I want to go and try one because I really like
      >the effect that the color has.
      >
      > Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.
      >
      > Happy Cutting,
      > Jeanette
      > Ronkonkoma, Long Island, New York
      >
      >christopher woo <woo555w@...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone. I am christopher woo. I am interested in paper cuttings and
      >glad to meet you all. I have created an album of my photos in the group.
      >Welcome you to view. And there are several ones in the attachmeant. Hope
      >you will have fun.
      >
      > "She seeks wool and flax, and works
      >with willing hands." Prov 31:13
      > My stitches might not be perfect...but the LOVE they are made of is
      > A friend is someone you can be yourself with!

    • christopher woo
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
          Hi Rina,

          Thank you for your welcome and telling the details to what Jeanette asked.
          I like paper cuttings very much, but I think my cuttings are too untutored
          to be showed. What my sisters did are amazing, I think. They are quire
          Chinese and traditional, just as you say. And I think they are perfect. I
          wish the cuttings they did should be known by more people who enjoy the
          designs of them in the world.
          I come from Qingdao, China. It's a nice seaside city. Its Tsingtao Beer is
          famous. I think you know something about it.

          Best Wishes,

          Christopher

          >From: "Rina" <rinna@...>
          >To: scherenschnitte@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Scherenschnitte] Re: Hi everyone
          >Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:16:23 -0000
          >
          >Hi, Christopher! And welcome here. :)
          > So nice papercuts! They are traditional chinese, aren't they? Would
          >you tell us a little more about yourself and your papercuttings? And -
          >because I know this patterns,- are you an author of them? Or, like me,
          >you just enjoyng to do papercut? I'll appreciate any information, you
          >want to share with us - I really want to learn how to make my own
          >designs. :)
          >
          >have a nice day!
          >
          >Rina

        • razorsedgeartist
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
            Hello Christopher,

            Please let your sisters know how much we appreciate their work and the
            fine tradition their work represents here.

            And Christopher, please also post some of your art. Even if it seems
            rough-looking to you, we all know that everyone starts somewhere. We
            are very supportive here and glad to give advice if you want it.
            Please don't feel shy about your art. I would love to see it.

            Thank you for the information on color usage (both you and Trina). I
            suspected as much about the use of red, as I have read a lot about
            China and have great respect for the long history and rich culture of
            your country.

            Have a great week,
            ~Shannon

            --- In scherenschnitte@yahoogroups.com, "christopher woo"
            <woo555w@...> wrote:

            > Hi Rina,
            >
            > Thank you for your welcome and telling the details to what Jeanette
            asked.
            > I like paper cuttings very much, but I think my cuttings are too
            untutored
            > to be showed. What my sisters did are amazing, I think. They are quire
            > Chinese and traditional, just as you say. And I think they are
            perfect. I
            > wish the cuttings they did should be known by more people who enjoy the
            > designs of them in the world.
            > I come from Qingdao, China. It's a nice seaside city. Its Tsingtao
            Beer is
            > famous. I think you know something about it.
            >
            > Best Wishes,
            >
            > Christopher
            >

            > >From: "Rina" <rinna@...>
            > >To: scherenschnitte@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: [Scherenschnitte] Re: Hi everyone
            > >Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:16:23 -0000
            > >
            > >Hi, Christopher! And welcome here. :)
            > > So nice papercuts! They are traditional chinese, aren't they? Would
            > >you tell us a little more about yourself and your papercuttings? And -
            > >because I know this patterns,- are you an author of them? Or, like me,
            > >you just enjoyng to do papercut? I'll appreciate any information, you
            > >want to share with us - I really want to learn how to make my own
            > >designs. :)
            > >
            > >have a nice day!
            > >
            > >Rina

          • swandog_studio
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
              > I like paper cuttings very much, but I think my cuttings are too
              > untutored to be showed. What my sisters did are amazing, I think.

              Hi Christopher and welcome to the group! :)

              Please don't be shy about posting your work here, even if they are
              "rough", because, by showing them, you can get encouragement and
              helpful suggestions back on how to improve even more. We're all
              friends here and always eager to assist newcomers, and we love to see
              new cuttings, no matter what level of skill they may be. I hope you
              will encourage your sisters to join here as well and post their work
              (and for them to give the rest of *us* suggestions on how to
              improve!), or at least see if you can get their permission to create a
              folder here to display their works for them. :)

              To the other new members:

              Welcome here and thanks for joining! :D It's so wonderful to see all
              the new activity...so much of it that I can barely keep up at times!
              :D (BIG difference from the way it used to be, when almost all we got
              here was spam, as some of you may remember.) I do my best to read all
              the new posts, but unfortunately, I have little time to reply. I hope
              the activity continues and that we keep making new friends, seeing new
              cuttings, getting good advice and even arranging meets for those who
              are local to one another.

              To Jeanette:

              Would it be possible to just send the "Welcome letter" to the new
              members privately, since so many new ones are joining all at once? (I
              think the flurry of new memberships is due to the GAP listserv
              recently promoting us, for which I am really grateful!) :)

              And to the rest of you:

              A while back when we were discussing lasercutting (of paper and
              metal), I mentioned a weathervane design that I'm working on which
              will be lasercut from copper. I just finished the concept design, if
              anyone wants to see it: http://swandogstudio.com/weathervane.jpg

              And here is the full description of it, since I feel it needs some
              explaination:

              "This is a custom-commissioned weathervane concept for one of my dad's
              customers (he builds log homes), in which they requested to have
              depicted the types of exotic animals, fish and livestock they raise
              (wapiti, whitetail, longhorns and bass), the Texas A&M college logo,
              their three daughters and the girls' initials, as well as the initials
              of the parents. I myself decided to add the types of trees that grow
              on their ranch, the indian arrow and the state of Texas outline. They
              also requested that their daughters' initials be placed where the
              directional letters would normally go, with the exception of "N",
              which will still stand for "North". Now I'm just waiting for profile
              photos of the three girls, so that I can replace the generic
              silhouettes in this image with silhouettes of the daughters, and when
              that is done, I'll reupload the updated design here. I'll also (later)
              post photos of the final crafted piece and its installation on the
              cupola of the log gazebo for which it's intended. I'm also designing
              matching chandeliers and a circular metal wall mounting, and will post
              those images soon.

              Note: The two separate directional arms with the animals/branches will
              be welded together at the "T" logo, making a plus shape where both
              "T"s are welded together (there will be a welding line going right up
              through the middle of the "T", which is not shown in the drawing). The
              ends of the oak and pine branches will be welded to the "stick" pole
              at slightly different levels, but the weld of the "T" will be exactly
              aligned. One set of branches will be welded to the edges of the stick,
              and the other set to the flat, broad side of it...Both images here
              show the broad side, but one of the designs should actually just have
              a line for the stick pole, to indicate that it's being viewed from the
              edge, because it wouldn't look gnarled/wide when viewed from both the
              front and the side. And the "stick" may have to be a rounded, straight
              pole if this gnarled, flat version isn't suitable (the only rounded
              part of this design is the spinning joint/bolt where the arrow
              attaches to the top of the pole). Also, the "B" and "M" may either be
              set on top of the arrow (as shown), or cut out of the arrowhead and
              feather, or even hanging like ornaments from the arrow shaft so that
              they swing back and forth in the wind, depending on the commissioner's
              wishes."

              ~Xenia
            • Jeanette
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
                Thanks Rina!

                You know when you mentioned self adhesive paper you gave me an idea. Remember good old Contact paper! I know that I've got some lying around here some where. Now I've gotta go try this. It would make gluing a lot easier.

                Happy Cutting,
                Jeanette

                Rina <rinna@...> wrote:
                Dear Jeanette!
                The red colored papercut is traditional in China. Usually they use Xuan
                paper - both black and red, but red color is preferable. Red is a color
                of blood, it's meaning
                is "longevity", "happiness", "fertility", "cheerfulness", etc., etc.
                Please, excuse me for answering before Christopher, but I've read a lot
                about papercut both in Japan and in China...(still lack of
                information!) and one of my very first question about colored paper for
                cutting was close to yours. :)
                Just for information: in Japan one of preferable paper for cutting is
                smoot brown self-adhesive paper - very nice to work with (and I'm so
                sorry that I can't find it here - grrrr! :) )
                I'm sure, Christopher will tell us many and interesting things about
                his art - I am waiting for this! :)

                Love

                Rina

                P.S. I'll try to upload some of my red papercuts. :)

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
                  Thanks Betty,

                  You know I always knew that there are really no rules to paper cutting, but I guess that using black is just habit.

                  Happy cutting,
                  Jeanette

                  Bietka <bietkab@...> wrote:
                  Jeanette:

                  Are you familiar with Wycinanki (Polish papercutting)? Other colors are used for cutings in Poland. Different parts of the country tend to like to use different and here in the US polish papercutters just use colors they like. Having said that, black and black with contrasting colors are used a lot because of the effect. Think it just boils down to what you like working with.
                  Bietka

                  Jeanette <jeaholm@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Paper craft Papel picado Paper cutting

                  ---------------------------------

                  Betty

                  Paper craft Papel picado Paper cutting

                  ---------------------------------

                  My stitches might not be perfect...but the LOVE they are made of is
                  A friend is someone you can be yourself with!

                • Rina
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
                    Dear Jeanette! :)
                    I've try Contact paper, but in my opinion, it is a little bit thick for
                    papercutting. Maybe yours is better? I found that Contact paper is good
                    for nice victorian silhouettes (the black one) - pasted on reliefed
                    colored paper - mmmmmm!!! - delicious! :)

                    Have a nice time! :)

                    Did you see my photoses? :) I can upload more, if somebody is
                    interested.

                    Love

                    Rina
                  • christopher woo
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
                      Hi Xenia,
                      Thank you very much for your encouragement and suggestions.
                      I'll show my work which I try to make it famous here though they are worse
                      than my English.
                      I have got my sisters permission. I am their broker. :) I'll ask them to
                      join the group if they can speak English. I'll retell them your concerns.
                      Thank you again.

                      Christopher

                    • Rina
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
                        Hi, Christopher! :)

                        So nice to hear from you! I'm pleased to know about you and your
                        talented sisters. Let us see more of yours and theirs works!
                        When I use to live in Japan, I had a friend from China - her daughter
                        use to play with her scissors and paper, and this was the very first
                        time I saw the real chinese papercut. I was amazed! :) And I receive
                        as a gift from her beautiful red colored "12 signs of Chinese zodiac"
                        cutted picture, with a kanji of Double Fortune. I treasured it and
                        maybe it encouraged me to start my plays in papercutting. :)

                        I am not so good in this, but I try! And have a lot of fun and joy!
                        And, know what? - it seems that I'll have an exibition soon - I just
                        can't believe this! - here in Warsaw, in Spring, the biggest chain of
                        bookstores will held a Week of Japanese culture, and I was invited to
                        show my japanese papercuts. I am a little bit scared because of this -
                        I've never did something like this before. And I still think, that I
                        am not so good. :) But.. I'll try. :)

                        Christopher, please, tell us are your sisters try the landscape
                        patterns? Or portrait patterns? I am deeply interested in this and
                        would like to know how I can find some of them? I am interested in
                        historical pictures also - I've made The Chinese warriors papercuts,
                        but, as I said already, all the time there is a lack of patterns and
                        information.
                        What kind of tools you and your sisters use? (this is a question to
                        all in the group - I would like to know how you manage with tools,
                        please?) I use simple japanese NT-cutter with 2 kind of blades. And
                        find very difficult to cut little holes - 1mm, 2mm, etc. I know there
                        is special tool, but imposible to find in Poland.. :( Also I have a X-
                        Acto knife(with blades - my brother in law send me from USA), but
                        I've use it very few times.

                        Thank you for sharing your works and I'm really happy to have such a
                        people around! :)

                        Love

                        Rina
                      • Rina
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
                          Christopher! :)

                          There is not necessity for your sisters to know English - they have
                          you! :) Don't hesitate to convince them to join our group! :) And don't
                          be ashamed because of your English - my English is awful..., but people
                          here are sooooo kind! - they generally understand my posts and are very
                          helpful sharing theirs knowledge!

                          Stay in touch with us, please. :)

                          Rina
                        • christopher woo
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 1, 2006
                            Hi Shannon,

                            My sisters and I thank you very much for your appreciations. And I am glad
                            that you have interests in Chinese culture. To show Chinese civilization by
                            my sisters' art works is my hope.Countries should be known just like that
                            everyone likes to be understood.
                            I'll show my work to you all.
                            Thank you again for your welcome and advice.
                            Have a nice day!

                            Christopher

                            >From: razorsedgeartist <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                            >To: scherenschnitte@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: [Scherenschnitte] Re: Hi everyone
                            >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:32:18 -0000
                            >
                            >Hello Christopher,
                            >
                            >Please let your sisters know how much we appreciate their work and the
                            >fine tradition their work represents here.
                            >
                            >And Christopher, please also post some of your art. Even if it seems
                            >rough-looking to you, we all know that everyone starts somewhere. We
                            >are very supportive here and glad to give advice if you want it.
                            >Please don't feel shy about your art. I would love to see it.
                            >
                            >Thank you for the information on color usage (both you and Trina). I
                            >suspected as much about the use of red, as I have read a lot about
                            >China and have great respect for the long history and rich culture of
                            >your country.
                            >
                            >Have a great week,
                            >~Shannon

                          • swandog_studio
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
                              > I'll show my work which I try to make it famous here though they
                              are > worse than my English.

                              Chris: I look forward to seeing it! :)

                              > There is not necessity for your sisters to know English - they have
                              > you! :) Don't hesitate to convince them to join our group! :)

                              Rita: Agreed! :D

                              ~Xenia
                            • Jeanette
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
                                Hi Xenia,

                                I have the new member letter set up to automatically go out to a new member when they sign up, this letter doesn't go to everyone in the group just the new member.

                                Both you and I also get a new member notification from Yahoo automatically to let us know that someone has joined, there is nothing that I can do about this, its a Yahoo thing.

                                I try to send out my own new member hello so that the rest of the group knows that someone new has joined the group otherwise the only people who know that someone new has joined are you and me. What I will start to do is to just send out a weekly hello to the new members who have joined that week. This should cut down on the hello mail and will also give a weekly listing of new members instead of trying to keep track of the individual hello letters.

                                I checked out your weather vane, all I gotta say is WOW! FANTASTIC!

                                I know that you will be putting the daughters profiles in there, but right now it looks like an Indian, a Mexican and a (sorry about not being politically correct) Black Slave which to a lot of people symbolize how the true culture of the South West.

                                Can't wait to see the completed project.

                                Happy Tin Snipping,
                                Jeanette

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006

                                  The only people who know that someone new has joined are you and me.
                                  What I will start to do is to just send out a weekly hello to the new
                                  members who have joined that week. This should cut down on the hello
                                  mail and will also give a weekly listing of new members instead of
                                  trying to keep track of the individual hello letters.

                                  Ah, gotcha! :) Silly me, I thought that welcome letter was going out
                                  to the whole group each time. And yeah, it's a good idea to send the
                                  notices weekly. :)

                                  I checked out your weather vane, all I gotta say is WOW! FANTASTIC! I
                                  know that you will be putting the daughters profiles in there, but
                                  right now it looks like an Indian, a Mexican and a Black Slave which
                                  to a lot of people symbolize how the true culture of the South West.
                                  Can't wait to see the completed project.

                                  Thanks so much! :) And hey, I didn't think of that, but you're right!
                                  :D And true, I gotta change the girls as soon as I get the photos, but
                                  thankfully, that's ALL I have to change, because the commissioner
                                  loved the rest...yay! (I was expecting to have to change several
                                  things on it, so I'm *very* relieved!) :)

                                  ~Xenia
                                • Jeanette
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 2, 2006
                                    Hi Rina,

                                    Love your cuttings! I finally got around to putting mine back on the group home site. They are no where near as good as the rest of the groups, but they are mine and it still amazes me when I look at them that I actually did them, even if they are done from patterns.

                                    Happy Cutting,
                                    Jeanete

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 7, 2006
                                      Hi Rina,
                                      Sorry to answer you late. I am in the trip for about ten days. I'll write to
                                      you again as soon as I have time. I'll try to give you a perfect answer.

                                      Have a nice week.

                                      Christopher