Re: [Scherenschnitte] electric cutters

  • CBee
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 11, 2013
      On 8/11/2013 4:15 PM, Christine wrote:
      > Huh! I have never heard of those - is there a picture or link I can
      > look at?
      >
      > Thanks,

      > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00117XDK0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2IWCJ0AJPPRJZ
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 11, 2013
        Thanks CBee! I have seen these at Michaels...but didn't think of them for
        schnipping.

      • Jane Unger
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 11, 2013
          OK.  Now I'm even more confused since the link to Amazon.com shows a stencil cutter - something that will melt plastic stencils.  How would this work on paper?
          Jane

          http://www.hootowlhollow.com
          http://www.hootowlhollow.blogspot.com

          >________________________________

        • William Offutt
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
            I am not sure just what this conversation is about, so maybe this is not of interest or help.

            I become fascinated with Scherenschitte a few years ago when I moved to Lancaster, PA. I even joined GAP. But I have migrated over to pop-up cards which seem more in tune with family birthdays etc.

            Along the way I discovered I could let a machine to cut for me. It was like having a full time servant doing my work for me. I bought a Silhouette cutter (Not like the Cricket where you have to buy all the patterns. You make your own) and have found it very much to my advantage. I think we need to have a new group of cutters using this technology rather than the traditional cutter group. Why? Because I feel very guilty admitting to traditional cutters that I have joined the "let the computer do it" group. Amazon has a line of this product listed, so try this link and see if it leads you to the technology that I have come to find extremely helpful in turning out birthday and anniversary cards with a LOT less work.

            http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_0_10/189-0091377-0075971?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=silhouette%20cameo&sprefix=silouette+%2Caps%2C198&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asilhouette%20cameo

            I have had a lot of fun with card making and an occasional Noah's Ark birth gift (I forget the name for this cutting).

            You can convert all the Backstreet patterns into the silhouette and let them be cut as long as you use a paper heavy enough to allow the machine to cut on the mat that is used.

            Sorry to admit my lazy streak to this group of artist but I just did not have time to hand cut the same card over and over.

            Bill
            Lancaster, PA
            To: scherenschnitte@yahoogroups.com
            From: janielou13@...
            Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 16:12:42 -0700
            Subject: Re: [Scherenschnitte] electric cutters

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
              Hi Bill,

              LOL, I am in the same boat as you - I feel a little embarrassed to say I
              have a Pazzles. But, a lot of time does go into fine tuning originals
              before the computer gets to do it, and I still cut the traditional way. All
              art requires tools, or, to paraphrase one of my art teachers, "we would be
              limited to making art with our teeth".

              Best,
              Christine

            • suki
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
                Well we could create Electric-Cutters for those who feel this group is
                offputting but I think we should plough
                ahead and discuss it anyways unless the owner minds.

                Suki

                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
                  I don’t know why. A lot of people use LASERs. Look on etsy. They are definitely not all hand cut. I think to be honest hand cutting is a dying form as the machines get better and better. I don’t have a machine, I just have that stencil tool
                  which I use on heavier paper so I can paint it – I find that the pure white isn’t always welcomed by recipients.

                  Suki

                • juliefes
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
                    I can answer questions regarding a number of electronic cutters for those who are interested. I currently own 11 different cutters, all of which are very capable of cutting lovely scherenschnitte designs. I teach people to use a number of software packages for designing or editing cutting files.

                    Julie, craftymusician@...
                    Purchase MTC: http://tinyurl.com/Purchase-MTC
                    Purchase Pazzles : http://tinyurl.com/Pazzles-JF

                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
                      11 cutters!! Amazing. Yes, you could teach me a lot, I am sure. Bill

                      To: scherenschnitte@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
                        hi Julie,

                        What’s the big difference between MTC and Pazzles?

                        Suki

                      • Christine
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
                          Yeah, laser cut anything, like earrings, are pretty hot!

                          In every creative arena people can be quite opinionated...I sell
                          photography too and have had people tell me that digital photography is not
                          real photography, or if PhotoShop is needed, that's not real photography
                          either.

                          Ah well!

                        • juliefes
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
                            MTC (Make The Cut) software is quite different from the Pazzles software. Both software packages come with all the basic features necessary for cutting. Both have additional editing features. But each has some features that the other does not have. I own, use, and teach both. I use each for different purposes. My preference is Make The Cut because it is not proprietary. I can use it to cut to all but one of my cutters. I can use it to import, cut, and export most vector file formats. It has the best raster to vector conversion utility available anywhere. This means that I can import or capture a picture image, and accurately create cutting lines from it automatically. Pazzles software cuts only to Pazzles cutter. Make The Cut actually cuts to the Pazzles cutter better than its own software.

                            You can download and play with free versions of both software packages to try them yourself to see what they do. Download Make The Cut here: tinyurl.com/Purchase-MTC Click on Download at the top of the screen, then download from the page that opens. This is a full version of the software with file export blocked, and cutting from it produces a slash through the cut project.
                            Download Funtime Lite, the free version most similar to Pazzles software here
                            This version does not contain all of the Pazzles software features, and will not cut to any cutters.

                            Julie, craftymusician@...
                            Purchase MTC: tinyurl.com/Purchase-MTC

                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
                              I'm not sure I'll ever change from my little scissors.  I've been cutting for over 40 years and find it relaxing to sit in my comfortable chair and snip away.  Having to work at a desk or a table would make it seem like work.

                            • juliadpalmer@hotmail.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
                                Hi Bill!
                                You have to do the outlining, that's not easy, even if the program that runs
                                the machine, says it will trace. You have to go over every line to make sure
                                it is perfect. So don't apologize , all the machine really does is saves
                                your hand,
                                With all the stuff I do, I wouldn't be able to do half of what I have done,
                                without it~
                                Julie

                                From: janielou13@...
                                Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 16:12:42 -0700

                                OK. Now I'm even more confused since the link to Amazon.com shows a
                                stencil cutter - something that will melt plastic stencils. How would this
                                work on paper?

                                Jane

                                http://www.hootowlhollow.com

                                http://www.hootowlhollow.blogspot.com

                                >________________________________

                                RJZ

                              • CBee
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 12, 2013
                                  On 8/11/2013 7:12 PM, Jane Unger wrote:
                                  > OK. Now I'm even more confused since the link to Amazon.com shows a
                                  > stencil cutter - something that will melt plastic stencils. How would
                                  > this work on paper?
                                  > Jane

                                  Well that's true it works with plastic and such but I believe it also
                                  works with heavier paper.

                                • suki
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 15, 2013
                                    Hi Julie, I did not realize that MTC and Pazzles were just software addins to the paper cutting machine. I thought that they were whole systems so I guess once you get the software you need to get a machine to do the die cutting.

                                    I guess what makes MTC better than Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and such is that it has drivers for the machines otherwise I figure you could use the former setups as well.

                                    Thanks Suki

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 15, 2013
                                      The Pazzles cutter ships with Pazzles software, quite sufficient in itself. However, if you have Illustrator, you could design in Illustrator and cut directly from Illustrator to the Pazzles cutter. Make The Cut is third party software that also cuts to the Pazzles cutter. Illustrator AI files will import into Make The Cut or even copy and paste into Make The Cut. Illustrator AI files saved in an older format will import into the Pazzles software if you prefer to use that software.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 16, 2013
                                        On 8/15/2013 6:57 PM, craftymusician@... wrote:

                                        > The Pazzles cutter ships with Pazzles software, quite sufficient in
                                        > itself. However, if you have Illustrator, you could design in
                                        > Illustrator and cut directly from Illustrator to the Pazzles cutter.

                                        Thanks Julie. So the Pazzles cutter is really the best out there then.
                                        That's good to know, though right now out of my budget. I will file
                                        that for the future. I appreciate the information you gave. It made a
                                        lot of sense of all the hype I've heard. I have never previously been
                                        able to figure the whole the thing out.

                                        Suki