New photos

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
      Dear Andrea,
      I just went and looked at your work. I really like the effects you
      get with your art. Are you using watercolors, pastels, or what to get
      the soft, pastel shades? Do you color them first and then cut them,
      it is hard to determine by just looking at them. You do some really
      nice subtle touches which are very effective. I liked them all, but I
      guess my favorite two were the 1)sun/moon, and 2) the flowers -
      because of the colors. I am a color freak having previously been a
      quilter. You are doing great so keep up the good work. Your work has
      a very individualistic style and your pieces will stand out from the
      herd. Way to go! Debbie B.
    • Andrea
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
        Debbie thank you for your comments I am glad you like my work. I love
        to work with chalk and that is what I use the most. Water colors
        second. I cut first then mount then add color. I have a nice little
        collection going here. My friends are going to let me display them at
        their store. I will continue this weather or not it is a money maker.
        I am just addicted now!!! But it's nice to be recognized though. So I
        keep copies of everything I do on the computer. If I give one a way or
        sell it I'll still have the copy. I have a lot to learn yet. I am
        getting into harder patterns. Fantasy is my current topic. Looking for
        older patterns. I am in a Middle Ages reenactment group called the
        SCA. I would like to enter some of my work in the Arts and Sciences
        Competition but it needs to fit into the Middle Ages time period to be
        entered. So if anyone knows of a good source for patterns and
        documentation let me know.
      • ediemj
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 22, 2008
          Carol, You inspired me to add 4 new photos also(it seems only 3 got
          through at this point). It's always fun to see what others have
          done. Edie
        • mbfled
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 23, 2008
            I really enjoyed the colored tree by Carol and the tree w/the geese by
            Edie. I'm fairly new to this "activity" and I have a couple questions.

            Are some designs that can be folded in the middle so you cut out both
            sides at once?

            How do you adhere the finished "picture" to a mat? Like those very
            tiny lines.

            Someone sent me the way to see the patterns from the CD Backstreet and
            I lost that connection. Is it possible to give me that info again?
            tks, beverly
          • Susan
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 23, 2008
              Beverly: Click on the 'Links' section on the left hand side of our
              Group site Home Page and then scan down to the 'Backstreet Papercutting
              Designs.' This takes you straight to the website where they are posted.
              You can download and print them all off to your heart's content.
              You might want to check out the other links listed here as well.
              Good information and fun places to go too!

              Enjoy!

              Susan H.

              --- In scherenschnitte@yahoogroups.com, "mbfled" <mbfled@...> wrote:

              > I really enjoyed the colored tree by Carol and the tree w/the geese
              by
              > Edie. I'm fairly new to this "activity" and I have a couple
              questions.

              > Are some designs that can be folded in the middle so you cut out both
              > sides at once?
              >
              > How do you adhere the finished "picture" to a mat? Like those very
              > tiny lines.
              >
              > Someone sent me the way to see the patterns from the CD Backstreet
              and
              > I lost that connection. Is it possible to give me that info again?
              > tks, beverly

            • carolchir
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 24, 2008
                --- hi beverly

                middle, cut both sides at once, and it opens to a symetrical (sic)
                design.
                as to getting the cut onto a background, heres what i use/do.i use
                elmer no wrinkle glue, which comes in a tube and is liquid. michaels,
                joanns etc carrys this. squeeze a little bit into a jar lid or
                something similar. lay the cut face down. using a very fine paint
                brush, put tiny dabs of glue here and there on the cut. just the large
                parts and the tips/edges of things. you dont need a lot of spots, as
                the cut will be under glass.carefully lift the cut, and position it on
                the background. any glue seeping out from under can be removed by
                gently patting the area with a slightly damp paper towel.
                of course, you can use spray adhesive as well, but i don't like to
                breathe too much of that stuff!
                hope you find this helpful.

                carol
              • Nancy Michalak
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 24, 2008
                  I like to use a repositional glue stick.  It sticks well, but doesn't permanently commit to the paper, so if you want to change background paper or still have access just to the cutting you can lift it off.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 18, 2009
                    Why don't photos that have just been added show up as "New Photos",
                    next to "New Messages"? I'm not a computer whiz, but in the
                    Papercutterstrade site new photos are listed. Thanks! Edie
                  • ediemj
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 19, 2009
                      "Folk Art Papercutting" and "Upstairs-Downstairs" are wonderful new papercuttings. I love the detail and all the meaning you have put into them. Are these your original designs? Keep cutting paper and thanks for posting these photos. Edie
                    • vegaslammy
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 19, 2009
                        Yes Edie, these are my original designs. Thanks for looking!!! Suzy
                      • Carol Chiros
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 20, 2009
                          ________________________________
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 20, 2009
                            Hi Carol

                            Thank you for your message. I love the images of the mid-west farms too, but it's more interesting to cut the ones on the hills! I use a Xcelite knife and blade. I have tried using papercutting scissors and also tweezer scissors but just can't seem to get the control I like. I also find it difficult to cut the really tiny spaces as I work on such a small scale. Some of the windows in the houses I cut are only a few millimetres across. Suzy
                          • ediemj
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 3, 2009
                              Thank you all for posting your marvelous, original design papercuttings! It's great to see what others are doing and to see the variation possible within this art of papercutting. I've posted a couple of my birch bark cuttings in the Papercutterstrade group. I've had fun using that medium recently...when I can find enough of that bark. Edie
                            • Carole
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 3, 2009
                                Edie hi!

                                I agree, sharing here is a wonderful opportunity for those of us who have
                                absolutely no contact with other paper-cutters other than here on the net.

                                Could you send a link if it's possible for us to see your birch bark
                                cuttings too.

                                Many thanks,
                                Carole
                              • ediemj
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 28, 2010
                                  Julie and Brittany--Thanks for posting the photos of your wonderful cuttings. Your 3-D wedding carriage is fantastic, Julie. Your Dragon's Egg, Making Zweibak, etc., are so different and really wonderfully done. Keep it up. Edie
                                • William Offutt
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 28, 2010
                                    Hi cutters,

                                    I must admit that it is totally surprising how dumb I must be that I cannot come up with designs for some holidays and special days even after snooping around on our photo pages. There is a lot of great stuff out there and, of course, you can take a bear or a tree or a lake and make it into most any theme you what. But that is not what I had in mind. After my call for a Fathers Day card design got no reponse, I am trying to come up with a graduation card theme. I have yet to even see a hint of a graduation theme and we all must have people graduating from something in June every year! So where are these great patterns? Not at Back Street of course and it seems even Alison fails to have anything in her extensive catalogue. Even that great Canon site has nothing on graduation but it does have some cute kids cards for Fathers Day.

                                    Just wondering,

                                    Bill Offutt, The guy who needs an imagination or a pattern!

                                  • Brittany
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 28, 2010
                                      Thank you, Edie!

                                      --- In scherenschnitte@yahoogroups.com, "ediemj" <ediebob@...> wrote:

                                      > Julie and Brittany--Thanks for posting the photos of your wonderful cuttings. Your 3-D wedding carriage is fantastic, Julie. Your Dragon's Egg, Making Zweibak, etc., are so different and really wonderfully done. Keep it up. Edie

                                    • sassh48
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 29, 2010
                                        Hey Bill, here's an idea- why don't you go look in the greeting card dept at Wal-Mart or Hallmark for ideas on graduation cards...sometimes I get ideas just from looking at regular greeting cards...or use Google's Image search engine and type in Graduations, fathers, etc.....this will give you tons of images for inspiration...hope this helps. I have a man fishing in the mountains pattern that I could scan to you too....just let me know...

                                        I know you'll find something out there to inspire you!

                                        Susan H.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 29, 2010
                                          Thanks for pointing out one more treasure chest of ideas. Bill

                                          To: scherenschnitte@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: behssh@...
                                          Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 17:55:24 +0000
                                          Subject: [Scherenschnitte] Re: Graduation?