Calling all beginning and emerging papercutters

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      Dear Cindy and others,
      I do not have a website. I am a member of the Guild of American
      Papercutters and have volunteered to host a beginners forum at the
      Guild website. I started the forum in October and during a
      technical upgrade, the first three columns got deleted. So with a
      new year, I am starting the forum all over again!! So what is one
      false start. . .

      I would like to invite all newcomers to papercutting to go to the
      Guild of American Papercutters website. It is www.papercutters.org
      You do not have to be a member of the Guild. You do need to
      register which only takes a few minutes. There is an automated
      response that will be sent to you and then you can access the
      discussion boards. This way I can write a cluster of beginners at
      the same time and not repeat my self over and over. Most beginners
      have the same questions so if one person asks it, then it can impact
      a group. Please feel free to submit questions. I check the site
      almost daily but plan to post about every two weeks. I will post
      more often if the number of questions is overwhelming.

      I am not an expert in any way. I just have a passion for
      papercutting and empathy for isolated beginners because I was one
      once upon a time. Other papercutters in the Guild are welcome to
      give you their input as well which may differ from mine. One of the
      joys of papercutting is that it is very individualistic and there
      are many methods.

      Cindy, specifically in regards to Montreat, that is where the Guild
      of American Papercutters (GAP) had their week long
      conference, "Collection" in 2002. I had just joined the Guild in
      2001 and decided to go. I am glad I did because it was life-
      changing for me. I met 65 papercutters from all over the world and
      saw the most incredible artwork that I did not even know existed
      prior to my visit. I knew then that that is what I wanted to do
      with my life! Debbie B.
    • CINDY MCCARTHY
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
        Debbie,
        do you have the name of the forum that you are heading up. Is it the Beginner corner? I want to make sure I have the right one. THanks
        cindy