Re: PAPER

  • susannah53
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
      --- In scherenschnitte@yahoogroups.com, dixiesnip <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > WHERE CAN I PURCHASE BLACK ONE SIDED SILHOUETTE PAPER?
      > I AM A NEW MEMBER AND EXCITED ABOUT THE DISCOVERY OF PAPER CUTTING.
      > I LIVE DOWN UNDER IN AUSTRALIA.
      > THANK YOU!

      There is a chain of hobby/craft stores in Australia which I think may
      be sort of like Michaels or Hobby Lobby, or possibly more like Dick
      Blick, Flax, or Mister Art, here in the States, where you might be
      able to find silhouette paper. Unfortunately, I can't remember the
      name! I will do some more slogging through my saved e-mails to try
      and discover it.

      By the way, I have made some wycinanki-style cards using origami paper
      and a glue stick with great success. For those of you who write
      pysanky, I have been adapting some pysanky designs and they translate
      really well. (I've been using Zenon Elyjiw's 60 Score of Easter Eggs
      for ideas.)

      Susannah
    • Richard C Mobbs
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
        I always transferred my patterns by scanning them into my computer, that
        way you can change the scale to fit any frame you have. Then I print the
        pattern on solid black paper (the ink always appears darker than the
        paper), then I just cut out the printed bits.

        If this helps any.
        Richard

        --------
        If you're not going to repeat it the first time, I'm certainly not going
        to listen to it again.

        - A semi-wiseman
      • Bietka
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
          Richard: I've been trying to print my pattern (from computer) onto cutting paper. But I'm having a little problem - the paper tends to go thru the printer a little crooked and sometimes I have problem getting the pattern centered. I have large rolls (24"x 60' ) of colored paper and have to cut to fit printer

          I have also been printing the pattern onto tracing paper (1/2 pattern) then I fold the tracing paper pattern over the folded cutting paper. Tracing paper doesn't add too much bulk and doesn't make it harder to cut with scissors.

          Any suggestions?

          Richard C Mobbs <mobbsrc@...> wrote:
          I always transferred my patterns by scanning them into my computer, that
          way you can change the scale to fit any frame you have. Then I print the
          pattern on solid black paper (the ink always appears darker than the
          paper), then I just cut out the printed bits.

          If this helps any.
          Richard

          --------
          If you're not going to repeat it the first time, I'm certainly not going
          to listen to it again.

          - A semi-wiseman

          Betty

        • Richard C Mobbs
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2005
            The paper I use is in a stack of individual sheets. It's too big for my
            printer as well, so I have to cut it with one of those long blade cutting
            boards.

            The fact that the paper you're using comes in rolls probably has
            something to do with the way its being fed into the printer.

            My guess would be to pre-cut the paper in stacks and press them flat with
            some kind of weight for a period of time to take out the curved nature
            of the paper. That should help keep them straight in the printer.

            The other option would be to feed the paper in the opposite direction of
            the rollers in the printer (especially if you're using a laser printer).
            So if the rollers feed the paper down and forward, then feed the paper so
            the curve runs down a back, if that makes any sense. But I think the
            first option is your best bet. When it comes to printers, the paper
            should be naturally flat.

            Hope that helps.
            Richard

            -----------------------------
            Anything we assume at this point is an assumption
            - Caldwell Police Lt. Frank Wyant
          • dixiesnip
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2005
              Thanks all for comments re paper -- I have learnt to scan designs and
              place in publishing files, then reverse the image so I can pass
              through printer on reverse side of paper so that image comes out the
              right way when cut.
              Just discovering what an interesting pasttime it is. Have been used
              to doing wooden scoll saw work - thus using many of those patters.
              There seems to be more books on scroll saw work.
              Dixiesnip.