Packaging ornaments

  • Joe and Kathy
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi all,
      Welcome to all the new members and a belated Happy BIrthday to Rina! It's good to hear that you are well.

      I have a question for everyone. How do you package your paper ornament gifts to people? One year I had made my own cardstock envelope and fused velour onto it and used a pretty wired ribbon to tie it. It was very unique and gave my recipients a way to keep the ornament safe. It was also a very time-consuming project. The envelope became a gift in itself!

      Anyways, I know that I am not going to have the time to do that, so I was looking for creative but inexpense and quick ideas on packaging the ornaments.

      Jeanette, thank you for the address! Expect a "snowstorm" in the near future! Considering it's more like early spring up here in the Northeast, this will be the first official snow of the season!!

      Kathy

    • Jeanette H
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi Kathy,

        Depending on how big or small the paper ornament is and also if it is 3 demensional or not, I usually try to get some of those jewerly boxes that you can buy at the craft store and line just the bottom of the box with the self sticking felt so that the ornament dosen't slide around. To wrap it I use a dishcloth that I have knitted and a few strands of yarn to tie it up.

        And Kathy I am praying for some real snow! I honestly think that father time slipped mother earth something in her spring water because out here on Long Island we are having Spring one day and Fall the next and there is no sight of Winter showing it's face any time soon.

        Now this is for EVERYONE - Don't go crazy! I only cried UNCLE and gave you my address because I knew that if I didn't you would get it any way, especially since I'm listed in the phone book Just remember that this holiday isn't about gift giving. And that just the thought of wanting to give someone a gift is what really counts. Besides, I've already received gifts from all of you at least a hundred times in your friendships.

        So, no matter which GOD you send your prayers to I pray that HE/SHE/IT will watch over you and keep you safe from harm during your stay here on earth!

        Happy cutting,
        Jeanette

        Joe and Kathy <joeandkathy@...> wrote:
[...]

        .

        Nelo solus sapit - "No One Is Wise Alone" - from my "Knitting" friend Maureen
        A friend is someone you can be yourself with!

      • Jen Minnis
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
          Papercutting, Kirigami, Wycinanki, etc.I haven't done this yet... but the
          idea I've been mulling over for packaging papercutting ornaments (or other
          small cuttings) is in CD jewel cases. you can easily cut panels of wrapping
          paper to fit in the front and back to decorate the cases... or you can even
          decorate it more just like you would a hand made greeting card... the CD
          holder part of the cases can easily be popped out so that you have a flat
          case. seems perfect for small cutting packaging to me!

          Jen Minnis
          http://www.jenminnis.com - extensive gallery of art plus journals and art
          for sale
          come visit my imagiNation, Albanlea: http://www.Albanlea.com
          Art Blog: http://www.jenminnis.com/artblog/
          Free Scherenschnitte Papercutting Patterns:

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
            Hi Jen,

            Great idea!

            I tried your idea this afternoon and was wondering what you did to close up the hole on the front cover? I didn't want to put the self stick felt on the front of the cd case because I want the person that will get the ornament (after I get a chance to cut one) to be able to see it.

            Happy cutting,
            Jeanette